New
Find
Notify
Tools

375/338
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a 375/338 go guage. Any one have one they want to sell or rent?

I would even be happy with a couple of pieces of fired brass to use a a headspace guage, it is a wildcat after all.

Edited....

Posts: 42162 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean a 375/338 or a 375/338, otherwise known as a 375 Chatfield Taylor? I have never heard of the first mentioned cartridge. If it is the latter, a .338 Winchester Magnum go gauge will do the job.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Belted mag gauges just measure the belt. If you are trying to see if brass goes into the chamber, a gauge won't help. You have to use brass. If you want to see if the headspace is enough to take a belt, any belted brass will work, but they are quite variable in tolerances. If you want to check headspace, you need a no go gauge.
There is no cartridge specific 338 gauge; they are Belted; one size fits all, again, with wide tolerances. Which is why we size brass to fit the chamber and ignore the belt. If you are smart .

Posts: 17247 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Belted mag gauges just measure the belt. If you are trying to see if brass goes into the chamber, a gauge won't help. You have to use brass. If you want to see if the headspace is enough to take a belt, any belted brass will work, but they are quite variable in tolerances. If you want to check headspace, you need a no go gauge.
There is no cartridge specific 338 gauge; they are Belted; one size fits all, again, with wide tolerances. Which is why we size brass to fit the chamber and ignore the belt. If you are smart .

Yeah.....duh.....major brain fart. Thanks Tom!

Posts: 42162 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote