New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting a muzzle crown?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Brno model 2 (zkm 452) that l wish to shorten the barrel on.

I work with with several machinists that have all the skills and equipment for machining virtually anything, but they are not into guns.

Do l need to buy a muzzle crowning tool or can the muzzle be cut on a decent lathe using normal tools?

What do l tell them to machine?

Regards

George

Posts: 61 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Key issue is to cut the barrel off square. Radius tip or recessed target crown. When I didn't have a crwon tool I used a brass screw/bolt so that the head was just larger than the bore then some lapping compound.

Poor man's version of this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...to-8mm-caliber-brass

Cut is square if for some reason it doesn't shoot it is easy to try again.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you have a lathe, you will automatically cut it off true. Crowns can be several different configurations depending on how you feel that day. You do not need to buy a special crowning tool; if you want the traditional radius crown, just grind a tool bit to make the crown. If you want an 11 degree muzzle, which is popular with match shooters, or any other angle, you can cut that with any lathe bit. A break in the rifling can also be added without a special bit as well. You can just recess the muzzle a bit, leaving both surfaces at 90 degrees. What do you tell them? Whatever shape of crown you want. Crowns are only for protecting the muzzle rifling in case you stick the muzzle on a rock. Otherwise, assuming a true muzzle, crowns can be any shape.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel will be faced off on a lathe.
I now understand that the recess can whatever shape l want.

What l still don't understand is what to to at the actual rifling. Do I just do a light chamfer?

Posts: 61 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Yes a light chamfer, the method of creation was explained by ramrod.

jump to 1:10 in the following video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My two best-shooting target rifles have recessed crowns and the last little chamfer was done with a brand new center drill. My gunsmith said there was no way he could sharpen a tool that fine, so that's what he used.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I usually don't break the sharp muzzle edge when I do a recessed crown; just be careful with cleaning rods. I have also used old Mauser bolt knobs dipped in lapping compound; keep it moving whilst your barrel is spinning so you don't cut a groove in your tool. Your bullets like sharp, clean exits.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Same here. I dont chamfer at the rifling after I cut a crown. My favorite type is a deep recessed counter bore that leaves an outer ring of steel to protect the crown

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to cut crowns through the headstock with the rear end supported in a spider.

You don't need a special tool for crowning, you just need a REALLY sharp tool to do a good job. I personally like to cut a slight chamfer even on a recessed crown.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Any machinist worth his salt will know how to do it with what he has on hand.

Just show him a picture of what you want and he will reproduce it.

just let him know the bore to face must be square and burr free. He'll do the rest.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent, l'm sure it will be sorted now.
Thanks to all who responded.