New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excellent gunsmiths in South Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any good or better excellent gunsmiths in South Africa? Please share your experiences with us.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danie Joubert comes to mind

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try Sabi Arms. My PH (Thierry Labat)had them build him a rifle and it is a very nice working rifle for a PH.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it hard to import rifles from the USA?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Is it hard to import rifles from the USA?

Yes it is. And expensive as well. Their firearms permit system is a pain in the Ass!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
If you need a muzzleloader, Glen McGill in Oudtshoorn is capable, if he is still in the business.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try John Brussel, next to Parrow Arms in Parrow (Cape Town). Oh holiday now, so I do not have his contact info with me. He has done some stock work for me and it turned out very nice. Also try Terry Harrison at Bullet Central Africa, near Durbanville.

I can get you more info after I return to Betty's Bay in mid-January.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sunshine what are you looking for/to have done? There quite a few top notch smith's in South Africa.

Posts: 15 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bennie Laubscher. I had a lovely 7x64 he made in the style of a Holland & Holland stalking rifle.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In no specific order...

Danie Joubert
Faan de Vos (stocks)
Steve Fourie (stocks and complete rifles)
Jan Bondesio (jnr)
Natal Gun Co - Alan Henry
Terry Harrison - tactical / accuracy
Piet Welgemoed - accuracy / F Class
Bennie Loubser
Gerrie Coetzee
Morkel and Crouse
I have some personal experience / exposure to all of these but don't personally own work of all these gentlemen. There are others that I'm sure I could think of given time.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote