New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct use of headspace gauges
 Login/Join

<Antonio>
posted
I just ordered from Brownells a set of Forster go and no-go headspace gauges for my 416 Rem Mag to make sure that I do not have a headspace problem due to bolt-play.

1) What is the correct procedure to use them?

2) Should I remove the firing pin from the bolt before trying to close it on the gauges?

3) How much effort should I make to close the bolt on the no-go gauge?

4) Should I clean the chamber in any particular way?

5) Anything else?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Antonio

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
If its a Remington you need to remove the firing pin and the ejector( drive out the roll pin holding it in place and be carefull you don't lose the ejector pin and spring.You can leave the extractor clip in place.
Clean the chamber thoroughly!
If its a Win with a claw extractor, remove the extractor and the firing pin.
Drop the go- guage in the barrel and with your thumb and try to gently close the bolt. It will either close completely or close with just gentle pressure. If it closes with just slight pressure its a good sign!
Next drop in the no-go guage and the bolt should not close with the same or slightly more thumb pressure. Again
DON'T FORCE ANYTHING.-Good Luck-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Antonio>
posted
Thanks Rob...

The rifle is a Winchester Super Express...

How do I remove the extractor?

Antonio

<Sparticus>
posted
Antonio, thier is a picture, in the Brownell's catolog, of a tool to use when taking those claw extractors off. Just call, one more time, an I'll bet that tool doesn't cost to much.It is really simple it's just easier to see a picture than it is to discribe. Mark

<Antonio>
posted
Thanks Mark:

Is the tool you mention the one on page 22 of Catalog # 54 called "Bolt Extractor Pliers"? Brownells # 080-017-000

Antonio