Find
Notify
Tools

Rimless reamer for Rimmed chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

Can a reamer for a rimless cartidge (say 257 Roberts) be used to cut a rimmed chamber (for say 257x57 rimmed)- assuming that the rim rebate would be cut separately. Also would a 257 Rob size die (with appropiate shell holder) work ok with the rimmed version??

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Foster

Yes, I've done that several times. I cut the rim recess with a small boring bar after the chamber is cut and before the barrel is removed from the lathe.

Many rimmed cartridges have also had the rims turned down in a lathe so they can work through a bolt action rifle without having to enlarge the bolt face. The 219 Wasp was done this way in Benchrest rifles that had a 30-06 size bolt nose.

Works great either way you do it.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray

I'm still thinking about single shots hence the rimmed thing, and getting reamers (here in New Zealand) in anything a bit unusual can range from being a real bear to impossible.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote