New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS broke a scope
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I guess the ultimate responsibility is mine, since I was the one who packaged it. I used plenty of foam peanuts but not enough to make it idiot proof I guess.

Apparently it has broken in 2, snapped across the turrets. It was a 6X20, so it was bigger than a 3X9 but still.....

The recipient says the box is not noticeably crushed anywhere, but he will put it in another box and ship it back. Fortunately I bought insurance!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark:

I don't know the answer to this, but I would suggest you check with the PO BEFORE he ships it back. He might need to verify or show damage on his end.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The recipient says the box is not noticeably crushed anywhere, but he will put it in another box and ship it back. Fortunately I bought insurance!

kinda makes one wonder when box is not damaged how did goods get damaged not saying you are being taken but don't sound right to me either

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you made the buyer pay for the insurance, then its HIS insurance, and the claim will be HIS claim, not yours.

I have had this happen before. Fortunately, I knew that when I send something that is breakable, I take a photo of it immediately before sending it, have someone verify it, and make sure I can prove the value of the transaction.

Remember, just becasue you allege that it was the Post Office's fault doesn't mean they are going to accept that allegation. They will (at least my post office does) make you PROVE all of the elements of a negligence claim.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What happened was I put it in a box where it had to fit diagonally, my guess is that it got tossed off a pile or something and landed on a corner, which left the middle unsupported. It is interesting because as I said I packed it pretty good with the plastic peanuts. I guess from now on I will put them in an additional tube of some sort.

I called the local post office and she was very helpful, since it is over $50 it will need to be sent in for the claim but as long as I can find my receipt I should be OK.

I did a pretty good job of taping the box, but I bet when I get it back one corner is going to have a dent in it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I ship something fragile, (scopes especially) I'll find a piece of PVC or ABS pipe of the proper diameter and length for the item. It goes in the tube with peanuts, bubble wrap, whatever, and the ends taped securley shut. Then it goes into a cardbord box (and more packing) and then to the shipper. If the gorillas manage to break that they haven't got a leg to stand on when it comes to the "improperly packed" bullshit.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but what you have written, that was a poor packaging job. Not saying who has the onus here-just repeating something here so others can avoid the headach and heartache of broken things.

If you had to put the scope in diagonally, you used the wrong box. You should have gotten a box where the scope fits in it like it is supposed to fit. There is a good reason that scopes, and just about everything else, come in boxes where they properly fit.

Secondly, as many gunamakers have repeatedly said on theis board, peanuts suck. They will let the object move around. Even worse, they are a royal pain in the ass for the recipient. Bubble wrap protects better and is much more friendly to the person recieving the package.

I sure do hope you get your insurance without a lot of hassle. It is a good thing that you went USPS and not UPS! All shipping companies can be hard to deal with at times, but I still have seen far fewer problems with the USPS. Good luck! thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has always worked for me when shipping anything fragile .
I first find a 200-400 lb crush (thick card board ) quality box making sure it has at least 2" of free space if not more all the way around the item being shipped . Then I either use a trash bag or sheet plastic 2 mil is perfect . I then lay the part in the plastic sheet fold it over . Next I use expanding urethane foam in the bottom of the box laying the part into it . having folded the plastic over I shoot some in the corners and on top . Now fold the box lid in .
Presto you have a foam lined nearly indestructible shipping container .

I have a Little Willie Foamer machine but a can of expanding urethane sealing foam from those home centers works just fine .
You don't need to put a lot in just under the part the corners and ditto on top . If you wish to be " Thrifty " or have several things to ship Fill the rest of the box or boxes with either paper or packing peanuts instead of using all foam .

This works !. They have to drop it from a 747 or lose it to damage it . Not even Dock Side punt ball from those freight humpers can damage the items .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also like to add if at all possible have the person you shipped the item to make a claim or leave it in it's original box . Ship it inside another box properly packed . Just So USPS doesn't give you any static !. Their NO different from other places . Talking to some one and taking the part in for the claim are TWO DIFFERENT operations and two different people !.

My Wife works for them and I've been brow beat on postal procedure !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We Hams ship radio electronics double boxed .The manufacturers do also.I think bubble wrap is the best packing .