THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these files good for wood? what've I got?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all, particularly the stock makers on this one. I was talking to Dennis Olsen yesterday about the stock that he is going to send me to use for pattern (he is duplicating one of his patterns as the one I sent him will not work for the purpose intended, I suspected that from the get go.) He recommended using a cabinet rasp for shaping the stock, and said Nicholson was a good brand.

Well, I have no idea what a cabinet rasp it, but thought I had seen Nicholson somewhere. They must be old because where I found them was in my grandfather's old tools. I wrote down a list of what I have in the hopes somebody could give me an idea of what it is and if it is wood related or not.

the inch measurement refers to the length of file that have actual "teeth". (the names are what it says on the file, don't know what they mean)

All Nicholson:
Bastard (round on one side) 11"
Flat Bastard 9.5"
2 x Bastard (finer than the first one) 7.5"

One Simonds Whizcut Vixen 11"

Also a couple of triangular shaped Nicholson's that are smaller.

Any tips on putting on handles and taking them off are also appreciated. there must be different sizes because I tried putting one on the big file and it only made it half way up the tang.

Thanks!
Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Nicholson files are excellent, but the question is, how were they stored? As long as they are sharp with undamaged teeth, you should be O.K.

Files must be stored with a good anti-rust preservative on them, and in such a way as they cannot touch each other. A file is just about the only thing hard enough to damage another file, so they can't be allowed to bang into one another in the tool drawer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bastard refers to the way the cutting teeth are laid out. There's also mill, lathe, rasp, etc.
2x as you noticed means there are twice as many teeth per inch.
Flat on one side, round on the other is called a 1/2 round. There's also flat, diamond, round, rat tail (round and tapered), etc. The "four-in-hand" style has a flat&1/2 round rasp on 1 end and a flat&1/2 round bastard cut on the other.

A trip to your local lumber yard/hardware/tool store to compare file types would be the easiest way to see the differences.

Whatever you use, having a "file card" (special type of brush, used for cleaning the teeth) is almost mandatory.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has the patternmakers cabinet rasps. The #49 Nicholson cabinet rasp is the best number to use for rough cutting on wood. The #50 cloughs up too fast for me. These are expensive at about $37, but it is a rasp that will last for a long time with proper care. Their stock number is #191 188 460 I have not found any brand that is a better rasp. I've used these since the mid '60. I use a 1/2 10in. bastard to smooth up after the rasp. Then use a fine mill file after the half round. Then sand with hard blocks to fit the area.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! They were not stored good, were touching and have some rust, but they still seem to have sharp teeth.

How do you guys store them, to keep them from touching? I mean, that can start to take up a lot of room right? And I read once I think by Jack Belk that the way to keep them from rusting was surveyer's chalk?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red - I believe the chalk is used to prevent rapid clogging of the teeth. If the chalk is there first, the filings can't stick between the teeth. I don't think it has any rust-resistant properties, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Red:

FYI......chalking the file teeth is for metal filing only.

You don't have to worry about the teeth clogging with wood and spoiling your work.

Here are some good sources for purchasing your files.

MSC

McMaster Carr

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote