New
Find
Notify
Tools

700/Timney
 Login/Join

posted
Guys:
I'm putting a timney trigger in a Rem 700. Midway sells both the regular trigger, which uses the existing bolt stop and safety, and one that contains the ULA bolt stop and safety. Same price either way. Plan to have smith install as I'm not yet comfortable with triggers.

Is there any difference in functionality? Will either lock the bolt with the safety on?

Thanks,
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one with the ULA safety looks like it is set up to lock the bolt when on safe. If your existing trigger's safety, locks the bolt when on safe, then, unless you cut off the bolt lock tab, it too will lock the bolt. Otherwise they should function the same.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
More details if necessary: It's a Mountain KS, current safety does not lock the bolt when the safety is engaged.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnR:
More details if necessary: It's a Mountain KS, current safety does not lock the bolt when the safety is engaged.

Then, If you want the bolt to lock when the gun is on safe, go with the ULA model, if you prefer being able to open the bolt with the gun on safe, then go with the model that uses "your" safety and bolt stop assembly.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, even more confusion. I'm not sure if ULA or others make it, but I know there is a 3-position safety made to convert 700s - that's not what I'm talking about. But midway sells a timney trigger w/ ULA safety that looks very similiar to stock 700 safety - but just want to confirm it will lock the bolt down (which I what I would prefer).

Malm: I think that's what you are saying - that the ULA safety will lock the bolt, unless you further modify it. Sorry for my confusion.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnR:

Then, If you want the bolt to lock when the gun is on safe, go with the ULA model, if you prefer being able to open the bolt with the gun on safe, then go with the model that uses "your" safety and bolt stop assembly.

If my memory is serving me correctly, the inventor of this safety told me it is two position w/ three functions. I do believe it locks the bolt when engaged on safe but it has the added feature of being able to be pressed down to release the bolt while the trigger safety is on. This would be different than the old safety.

Many of the Remingtons continued to have the slot cut for the old bolt locking safety after they changed safety systems. I believe that this slot has been eliminated in most if not all the newer ones. I think the inventor continues to build rifles in WV(ULA I think??) and will cut the slot and install his safety for a very reasonable fee.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gary is correct in that the newest 700 don't have the slot cut at the bolt handle,so the older bolt locking safety lever won't lock the bolt

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtb:
gary is correct in that the newest 700 don't have the slot cut at the bolt handle,so the older bolt locking safety lever won't lock the bolt

Or, even go on safe without removing the offending appendage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For some silly reason Remington is still slotting the receivers for those safeties, but as has been pointed out they don’t slot the bolts any longer.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote