New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Trunk Paint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure if it is the same stuff but I found krylon "trunk splatter" paint in the Pep Boys. I roughed up a Banser stock with 80 grit to help it stick but it was not very durable, chipped and scratched pretty easy. A friend in the automotive business said all the "good stuff" is gone. I will sand it down and try again but this time I will prime the stock first and hopefully that will help.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to see this paint every where. It comes in all kinds of crazy spider web. I now can not find it. I want it to paint an HS stock and a Basner. Has any one used it? Will it hold up to solvents? I have seen it used by body shops but they all buy in bulk. To have them do it I could get the stock done at the factory cheaper.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rem M7 from a guy who worked in a auto paint shop and had done the tupperware stock with trunk paint. It is very durable, looks good and is rough enough to provide a good grip when it is cold and I am wearing gloves.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Hornetfan

For what its worth, I had a friend have his truck bed done in some kind of splatter paint. This was before the spry in bed liner craze. Any way it was tuff as nails. It was done professionally at a body shop. It seems like he said it was either two parts or two steps. Not much help there, but maybe some hope. I would just call some body shops till I found someone that new what I was talking about. I also think that Brownells sells something like this?
Unless you are dead set on the two tone splatter finish you might want to try Dupli-Color spray in truck bed liner. It is cheap, about $9 a can, and easy. One can will easily do two stocks. If you put the last coat on kind of sparsely it leaves a good no slip finish.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used a trunk paint last year and it was durable and easy to apply but...
if you got it very as in soaking wet it all came off. now we only use zolatone
it works great is solvant resistant and waterproof But you have to have a paint gun especially for it
Just my 2 cents worth

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to find trunk spatter paint to no avail last summer, for the same purpose. Granted, I didn't look very hard, but I wound up buying something similar at Wal-Mart in aerosol spray cans. I degreased the McMillan stock and then thoroughly sanded it with 80 grit, and primed. When the primer was thoroughly dry, I scuffed it and sprayed a couple coats of the spatter paint. After applying a couple light coats of clear, it looked great. Understand that your checkering will more than likely be covered up, but the finished product had a good non-slip feel. I've used that rifle quite a bit since, and it has held up well. I've noticed a couple places that got scratched, but touching them up was no big deal. In fact, completely removing all the finish and doing it again wouldn't be that big of a deal. By the way, those same scratches would have also marred the finish on any wood stock. When painting, allow sufficient drying time between coats.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I used to see this paint every where. It comes in all kinds of crazy spider web. I now can not find it. I want it to paint an HS stock and a Basner. Has any one used it? Will it hold up to solvents? I have seen it used by body shops but they all buy in bulk. To have them do it I could get the stock done at the factory cheaper. [/quote

Zolatone?( spell)

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote