Find
Notify
Tools

1903 - A1, A3 sight removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted
I am trying to rebarrel an A1, I think, with an A3 barrel. The problem I'm having is removing the rear sight from the A1 barrel. It is not the double strap with the pin in the front strap holding it on, it's a complete sleeve and no pin. I don't think they are soldered on, like a Mauser. I would appreciate ideas from you guys that know 1903's. This is the first customer that wanted something done with a 1903 that didn't involve customizing, never had to take the sight off the barrel before. Any help will be appreciated.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 1903 for $50 in 1974 the handguard had been discarded, the stock had been cut back to just forward of the finger grooves, the rear sight removed, and the sleeve milled flat on top. I've always wondered if the smith who couldn't figure out how to get the sleeve off was the same fella who did such a clean job of installing the Redfield receiver sight. I half recall there is a cross pin toward the front of the sleeve that is nearly imperceptible under the arsenal finish. I'll check my Book of the Springfield when I get home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rear sight has what's called a fixed base pin and a fixed base spline. Drift out the fixed base pin, then drive the base forward off of the barrel and the fixed base spline.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brophy's book barely mentioned it but the NRA book on the 1903 discussed it on the last page. There is pin on the bottom of the rear sight base about a half inch from the front edge. Once that is removed the base can driven off.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will take it off in the mornimg. From what I could find, that is the way it was attached, but I couldn't find the front pin. I will now that I know for sure it's there. Thanks again........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys! Found the pin (lots of polishing) and was able to remove the sight and install it on the new barrel. All came out great, better than I had hoped for.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
Found the pin (lots of polishing) and was able to remove the sight and install it on the new barrel.
No telling why they went to such trouble to hide it. Do you have any photos of the finished job?

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
My customer has picked it up, so I can't send you any pictures. It doesn't look any different than it did when he brought it in....from the outside. He had bought a salute gun, I believe, as the barrl was missing most of the rifling. The outside is in great shape. When I reinstalled the sight I didn't hide the bottom pin. You can easily find it now and it has a squared head so it will be much easier to remove if there is a next time. I reparkerized it and it was ready to go. I was suprised that the head space was perfect. Either the 1903's were made to very close tolerences or I just got real lucky.

I build a lot of rifles using Mauser actions. This was the first 1903 that I dealt with more than just the action. Usually the customer hands me the action and tells me what to make out of it. ......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC