Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting blanks from a Black Walnut
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
What dimensions should the blanks be cut..2.5" thick, 7" wide, and 36" long?

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have ever looked at a feathered crotch blank, what you are seeing is the grain and mineral streaking running from the main trunk up into the limb. This is hard to explain but hope you understand. If you laid the trunk on the ground and put the limb going up so it was at the top of the trunk, then you would make cuts vertical to the ground so that you had a blank that was centered on the limb and about 3 inches wide. The cuts will go all the way through the the main trunk and have the center of the limb in it also. Did I make myself clear?

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The cuts will go all the way through the the main trunk and have the center of the limb in it also. Did I make myself clear?

I was waiting for an authoritative answer and I consider you an authority, but if I understand you correctly, thre will be a pith from the limb running though that stock. And a blank with the pith in it will likely crack - no?

I recently build a two piece stock for a muzzleloader and the buttstock had a pith in it and it cracked there. The wood had been stored in a very stable and dry basement for over 10 yrs, possibly over 30. But it cracked. Not a big deal in my case, because this gun is not about beauty, but I would not do another that way.

I would cut with the "Y" of the crotch facing 90 degrees to me, (ie, so that I did not see the "Y" per se) and slice it as close to the middle as possible to take out the pith with the saw, or nearly so. I would keep the blank a lot thicker than I think I might need too. Better to have one really good and solid blank than two or even four mediocre blanks.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Yes thank you

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a grove of about 100 walnut trees on a lot near me just sitting vacant . well a few weeks ago the demolition crew was in there knockin the trees down with a bulldozer and cutting them up with chain saws and putting them in dumpsters.
I went in there to see if I could snag some wood , lots if I could.

Well the Demo guys were these frickin Iranians or something and could barely talk english.
They said No !! I cant take any wood .

I think they were just hauling it off to a dump.
Frickin assholes...

I went back at night and got a couple logs , I dont know what kind of wood it is .

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If I remember right, the commercial nut trees here in the US are English walnut top halves grafted on to French walnut stumps. The trees are grafted when they're barely more than twigs because the French walnut root systems are more disease and rot resistant and the English walnuts are "eating nuts". Look carefully and you should see where the bark changes in color and texture right above the ground level.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Sniper,

Chic is right, but. You might consider the suggestion to take the tree to someone to cut it on either a large circular or band saw.

Just for your info check this link to discover if what you have is American Black Walnut:

http://www.treeguide.com/Species.asp?SpeciesID=542

If so, it is one of the most expensive woods around. Take a leaf to a knowledgeable nursery worker and ask if it is Juglans nigra. Depending on the size of the tree and its condition it may be worth far more than you think.

I would have done this before felling the tree, but do this before it is chain sawed further.

Also, you do realize you will have to let this wood dry for a long time right? Check here for basics of air drying:

http://www.sawmillmag.com/articles_index.html?article_id=221

By the way, if it proves to be American Black Walnut and you have more trees, please contact me.

Dave

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a page with some pictures of walnut trees being sawn into slabs. The trees are "English" walnut, but are from the NW US. The wood looks much different than English grown in California. Pictures

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

if what you have is American Black Walnut: if so, it is one of the most expensive woods around.

Don't think so, American Black walnut is the most commonly used walnut on US factory guns. All in all, pretty much average stuff.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
"Don't think so, American Black walnut is the most commonly used walnut on US factory guns. All in all, pretty much average stuff"

Craigster,

A lot of wood is mistakenly called black walnut. If you took a look at the link I posted, you would see the same statement made there, as well as numerous other authorities:

"Black walnut is the premier hardwood species in North America, and one of the most valuable woods in the world. Supplies of quality walnut are declining, as a result of overharvesting. "

Other walnuts are more sought after for gunstocks due to grain color variations, feathering, figure, etc. e.g. Circassian walnut.

The modern large production gunstocks that I have seen were not black walnut. As to value, large black walnut trees can command far more money than other hardwoods grown in the USA.

Take a look at that link and there are other sites, if you want I can give you.

Dave

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Dave. Looks like the black walnut I'm thinking of is not the genuine article.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

As to value, large black walnut trees can command far more money than other hardwoods grown in the USA.

Dave, black walnut does not hold a candle to the going price for English Walnut grown in California and the same goes for Bastogne. There is no comparison in cost, not only in raw trees but the cost is equally evident in the cost of blanks.

Check with some of the folks around Chico that cut this wood. Black walnut trees have been planted all over the US. That map may have the original distribution but it is not current today.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote