New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which height rings, M70 Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right guys, I could use two things here, anybody with a M70 Safari classic that has a scope mounted on it? I want to put my birthday list together for next month, and unless i put the exact thing I need and where to get it, I won't. So I want to get a set of Leupold Quick release rings and some bases, and wanted to know what height I will probably need.

The second thing is (and if I have this I guess I don't need the first thing) how do you figure out the height you need for your rings?

Thanks dudes.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
How big in diameter is the front end of you scope??? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Umm, don't have the scope yet. It will probably end up being a leupold 4x if I can find one for the right price. I have a 1.5 - 4x (or 1.5-5, can't remember) Bushnell that has no front bell, just the tube, but don't know whether or not it would hold up to the recoil.

So, I would guess we're looking at probably 38mm (isn't that the diameter of the Leupold's front bell?)

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a variXIII 1.5x5 on my 416 safari express and Leupold QRW detachables in LOW work fine. Why do gunshops put high and medium rings on everything? I always end up buying low rings when I buy a used gun, very few scopes need more height. Most scope manufactures will list it somewhere in the depths of their catalog which rings you need, I know Leupold and Burris do. I like a good firm cheek weld on the stock.

Posts: 1522 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,
Why don't you just click on Leupold's Mount Selector and let their web site figure it out for you? I look a lot smarter on here than I actually am, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chic! I was just thinking about you, I ordered you a little nothing to bring you at the show next weekend and it arrived today.

You would think that I would know about something like that, the fancy selector on their website. I am on my way there now to figure it out.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything with iron sights will probably have a low comb and need a low mount. I always mount the rings empty and shoulder the rifle a few times with my eyes closed and seeing if rings are centered when I open them. Then I choose a scope with an objective that will clear the barrel. Anything with 33mm or smaller objective should be trouble-free in low mounts.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, you guys are awesome, used the little leupold thingy, low rings, even when I selected the 3-9 x 40. I have it on my midway wish list that I will print out and give to my fiancee. None of that,"I never know where to buy things for you." HA!

Red