Find
Notify
Tools

Can you epoxy a broken stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
I have an old K98 that my dad picked up during the war. He started to sporterize it with a Bishop walnut stock which I finished up recently. I had never bothered to check the bedding and when shooting it yesterday it sheared off the front action screw (in the recoil lug) and split the stock at the wrist.
Is it possible to epoxy the wrist with a thorough glass bedding of the action or should I just trash the stock and buy something else?
What is best for an aftermarket replacement stock for a beater/pick up gun? Hogue? Boyds? Others?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should be able to fix it... but if you buy a Hogue pillar bedded stock, you will save your self a LOT of work.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry. Kind of thought it might be a project that was better avoided.
The Hogues go for around $150 and even though I'm retired I have better things to do. beer

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love thoseHogue stocks, unless you can cross pin and have a "masters" glass bedding etc, you are in for a Lot of wor.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K98 stocks are usually found dirt-cheap at gun shows, perhaps online auctions (gunbroker, etc). Find one for your right price and carve off all the wood you don't want.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote