Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser scope base overhang?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I've got an Israeli .308 Mauser action that I've been working on. I ground off the loading flange, drilled and tapped it, and welded on a bolt handle. But the Leupold standard base overhangs on the back of the rear bridge on the camming surface that the bolt handle crosses to unlock the bolt lugs. Do you guys just grind the base back? Is there a smaller base that fits without doing this? Is it because it's a shorter large ring in the .308 cal?

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sounds as though you drilled the holes in the bridge too far to the rear.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

It could be, but I used the Wheeler Eng jig, followed the instructions, and the holes are equidistant from the front and rear on the fore but not the aft bridge. On the shorter Mausers, like the M24, what's shorter? Are the bridges the same length and just the ejection port is shorter?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recontour the back of the base if it won't otherwise affect the ability to lock down the ring.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clemson,

Yes, I'll do that. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same problem with the same equipment. Just ground off back of rear base. The wheeler eng. jig is cool and works pretty well, you've just got to be very careful.

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I like to recontour the rear bridge to accept FN type two piece mounts on the Mausers I work on. The trick to using the Wheeler jig to drill for FN type two piece mounts is to remove the locator pin after you've drilled the front two mount holes and reposition the jig all the way forward before drilling the rear mount holes. By doing so, the mount is far enough forward on the rear bridge to not need any grinding. Also, it covers up the open space where the stripper guide was. Just bear in mind that if you do so, you may not be able to use a one piece mount later.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My jc higgins model 50 fn mauser with luepold 2 piece I had to file a little corner off the rear base so the bolt would clear. I have another FN that fits perfect and then another that the rear holes are way to far back. I used Redfields 2 peice base on that one. The redfield rear is centered not a reverseable.

I gotta break down and try some talleys next.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with Leupold two piece mounts on a JC Higgins Model 50. I also filed the lower corner off of the base just over the extractor cam on the rear reciever bridge. Not much, only 1/16 inch or so. It works fine now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's run into this. It looks like the amount of filing that I'll need to do is pretty minor.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Doug,

It could be, but I used the Wheeler Eng jig, followed the instructions, and the holes are equidistant from the front and rear on the fore but not the aft bridge.
Steve

Ah yes, the Wheeler drill and tap jig, my favorite Ouija [weegee] board.

I am going to use mine today.
My first question for the Ouija is, "Is my Mauser short?"

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote