Notify
Tools

Mike McCabe screwed...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...one together for me.

I had two 376 steyrs and didn't have a 30-06 so Mike rebarelled a FN Mauser for me with a P.O. Ackley, Inc barrel.

He re-timed it so the stamping was in the right spot and re-cut the chamber.

he also full length bedded it for me. He may have also put sights on it but I am old and forgetful...

I guess it shoots ok...Now what do I do...I got a sub 3/4 MOA 30-06...crap.

Anyway this was the best group of the day the other were running about .66 to .72

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
didn't have a 30-06

I have spent the last decade trying to rebarrel every '06 I own and still have a dozen. How could any gun nut not have a closet full even if by accident?

Looks like she shoots just fine.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...I am not your usual gun nut...

I have owned:

22-250
6.5x55 (2)
7x57
308 (3)
7.62x54r
300 WSM (2)
300 Hawk
8x57
8.59 Galaxy
35 Remington
358 Win
358x57 Imp
9,3x62
9,3x64
376 Steyr
375hh(2)
416 Rigby

this is my first 06

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I would rather see the rifle instead of the target.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You really should try mastering the focus button before your next trip to the range. Most of today's cameras do this automatically. Instead of just snapping the picture, try pressing the button half way down and holding it until you get a green light telling you it's focused and ready to be taken. Remember, not all pictures are worth 1000 words. Only those that are sharp clear. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
tis from my cell phone camera...and I had been drinking

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
You really should try mastering the focus button before your next trip to the range. Most of today's cameras do this automatically. Instead of just snapping the picture, try pressing the button half way down and holding it until you get a green light telling you it's focused and ready to be taken. Remember, not all pictures are worth 1000 words. Only those that are sharp clear. Big Grin

I dunno Mike, I think maybe you should add this to the worlds longest signature line. Westpac IS always a sold source Smiler ...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Pic of the gun.

FN Action
Mel Smart stock
Talley Rings and bases
Leupold 2x7 with #4 german reticle

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Pic of the gun.

FN Action
Mel Smart stock
Talley Rings and bases
Leupold 2x7 with #4 german reticle

Are we supposed to sit back and imagine what this would look like? Sorry Mike, couldn't resist!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Really...Guy quit sniffing the solvents and drinking before noon...there it is...

can't you see it...all in its blurry splendor.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nice, I'll probably have to buy a 30.06 one of these days. I had one for 6 months (M1 Garand) back in the early 80's.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'll have to put the solvent down. The image wasn't there before.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guy,

Really? the image wasn't there before...a likely story.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Dettorre,

You bastard. I saw the thread title (without the posters name) and thought "oh shit" and that someone's deal with McCabe had gone completely sideways. As you know, I have two rifles with him at the moment. Thanks for the heart attack!

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Me, I am just a public service kinda guy...besides, Juli says you have lots of insurance...

Besides...you need to post a pic with your new hat.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides...you need to post a pic with your new hat.

Please use a camera, and hang the phone up! Wink

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha! you got me with that title! I thought I was gonna have to drive out to colorado to watch Mike's 6 o'clock. Big Grin

Let's see some clear pictures!! I have a camera phone, it actually does pretty good pictures if it has a lot of light. but if it's even a bit dark, or things are moving, ick. too bad too, it's the only camera I ever have when the kids are doing something spontaneous.

Great job having a 30-06 that shoots that way. I have one that I have to put back together and see what happens after having the brake cutoff, but before that it was shooting 1/2" groups, (1903 with military barrel) and I'm not a good shot!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only 1 - 30:06- that is cruelty to the gunnuts of america. Eeker everyone should have at least 5 or 6 Big Grineven if they do look like a blob in pictures

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Only 30/06's I've ever owned and still do are 03A3 and Garands . I've never hunted with a 30/06 in 40

years on 5 continents !. Did I miss something ?. Didn't think so !.
archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote