Find
Notify
Tools

Quick turn bluing service for smaller parts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Any recommendations for a bluing service that will take smaller parts - bottom metal, grip caps, etc - and turn them around pronto?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, AH,
try the top of your stove. If the part is not temper sensitive, polish it up and just put it over the gas ring until it turns blue, then oil it.

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the problem is that the places I use have minimum orders and for them to do a few parts it still costs a hundred bucks so you might as well have the whole thing blued. That is after you do the polishing. Bluing costs have skyrocketed lately. I do heat blue parts and it is a good way to go. A tip; polish the part. Heat until you see it start to turn yellow and pull away, then back in the flame carefully until it turns blue. If you go for the blue color right away it will overheat and turn gray; then you have to polish it again and start over.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
A tip; polish the part. Heat until you see it start to turn yellow and pull away, then back in the flame carefully until it turns blue. If you go for the blue color right away it will overheat and turn gray; then you have to polish it again and start over.

Dang good tip!

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Any recommendations for a bluing service that will take smaller parts - bottom metal, grip caps, etc - and turn them around pronto?

Try your hand at rust bluing.

www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:

Try your hand at rust bluing.

www.rustblue.com

Interesting - I might give that a try. However, as time crunched as I am, I love the idea of putting in the mail and getting back in 2 weeks!

If I had a shop building I'd set a bluing setup in there.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Another thing I've found reasonably good lately is the modern paste bluing.

The one I've got is G96 and I find it streets ahead of the the old liquid touch-up blue. If one application doesn't go far enough, I rub it a little more with steel wool and add some more paste.

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Does Blue Wonder work as advertised?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH, have you tried the Brownells Oxfo or Oxyfo (what ever it's called)?
It works really good and is super easy to do yourself.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
rust bluing is actually easy especially with small parts. But it is slow.

I did a few parts with Belgian blue. It takes longer for the water to boil than to blue the parts. the only thing i noticed over time(years) is that the part faded a bit. I think the next time I'll dunk the part in acidic afterwards.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:

I have used it, but not with much luck. It did work well on a grip cap and some inletted swivels I did for my father-in-law, but could never get it dark enough. It looked kind of like a worn rust blue job, which was ok by me for what I was doing.

For the next set of parts, I need to really get it dark.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You could buy some salts and blue them yourself; it is fairly easy; it is lye and sodium nitrate (or nitrite) , heated at 290 degrees for a few minutes. It will burn your skin in a millisecond.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For small parts, I had a small tank made that fits on my gas BBQ grill. Makes rust bluing relatively simple if you don't have a large shop. You could probably even use a coffee can.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah; for rust bluing all you have to do is boil water; can do that on the kitchen stove.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have used it, but not with much luck. It did work well on a grip cap and some inletted swivels I did for my father-in-law, but could never get it dark enough. It looked kind of like a worn rust blue job, which was ok by me for what I was doing.

AH, I am a little surprised to hear that.
I've had good success with it albeit with multiple coatings of the stuff. Did you buff any of the first applications with bronze wool then re-apply? I found it helped. I know it is difficult with certain shapes and contours though.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

AH, I am a little surprised to hear that.
I've had good success with it albeit with multiple coatings of the stuff. Did you buff any of the first applications with bronze wool then re-apply? I found it helped. I know it is difficult with certain shapes and contours though.

Did not use bronze wool. Assume that helps? Do you use anything between coats? what is your process? I'll give it a try again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin,
Nothing complicated. Just applied with a cotton swab, blew on it like a candle, put some more on and let dry, which doesn't take very long. Did that several times. Then took some bronze wool and put some light oil on it and buffed a sheen. If it wasn't to my liking I then swabbed it with alcohol a tad and swabbed it some more. It seemed to take real good. At least for me.
I remember reading a more in-depth instructions on, I think, Brownells website for more of a blue-ing bath.
But I didn't do that.
Hope it works for you.
Skilled craftsmen are getting harder to find these days.