New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking off a barrel?
 Login/Join

<JimF>
posted
Pretty basic question I guess but here it is.

I have a Rem 700 ADL bbl. action. I'll be having some work done on the action and a new barrel etc. I'd like to take the bbl. off myself before sending it off for the work. The current barrel won't be re-used. I have basic home tools, vise, etc. Is this a DIY? if so, what are the steps.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is probably NOT a DIY job. At a minimum, if you planned to scrap the barrel, you would need a receiver wrench for round bottomed receivers, and a heavy pipe wrench. Don't be tempted to wedge something through the receiver as a lever, or your receiver will end up twisted. If you try to hold the receiver in a vice, you risk marring it or deforming it.

todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Todd G. You might find a local 'smith or hobbyist that would remove the barrel if you gave it to them. The task is quite simple, like a lot of things, if you have the tools and have done a few.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably tough to do at home without problems.If you know someone who works in a machine shop it's quite easy to do.I made a brass sleeve with an internal taper to fit the barrel of my 700/300 Win last week. Chucked it up in a 20" 4 jaw and used an action wrench that a buddy made that slides into the action.Rear of the action wrench slides into a sleeve held in a 1/2" drill chuck in the tailstock to keep from twisting the action out of shape.Put the lathe in low gear and popped it right off.It could probably be done with a good heavy bench vice and a proper action wrench but I think it would be risky. A bent or cracked action is pretty much junk.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Thanks guys, I'd call that a consensus.

JimF

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
JimF,

How well equipped a shop do you have? Do you have a really sturdy vise that is very well mounted? How about just a well built workbench? Or do you have a friend with a hydraulic press? Are you handy at making stuff? If so then you can remove your barrel but it would be simpler and probably cheaper to have the other guy do it.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any good pic's of an action wrench or some links I could use to see one? I have all the equipment to make such a thing but no idea of what one looks like. All my cations are M77 Ruger ones FYI

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spend $5 on a catalog from Brownells and you will get to see several different setups for barrels and for actions. I've made them for myself and for others. I really don't approve of the "rear entry" wrenches for removing receivers from barrels, I prefer a wrench that clamps around the receiver and bears on the recoil lug, also (for Remingtons). Use powdered rosin or sugar on the barrel clamp, brass shims around the receiver, works for me.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote