Find
Notify
Tools

What will this gun weigh?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I'm building my first "custom" rifle from a Savage 110. I'm thinking of trying silhouette and long range shooting, so I chose the 6mm AI. With these parts, what should the gun weigh:
Savage 110 Action
ER Shaw Savage Varmint Contour Barrel
Boyd's Varmint/Target Stock
20 oz. scope plus extra high rings and mounts

How much should this gun weigh, and what can I do to increase weight? A recoil calculator says it shouldn't have more than 8 lbs of recoil with maximum loads if the gun weighs 10 lbs. I would like to see hits through the scope, but this is probably doubtful. What can I do to increase weight/reduce recoil WITHOUT a muzzlebreak? I heard a gun with one go off and I don't want that on mine. I could also add a big recoil pad, but I don't think that would do much other than add weight. Is there a weight limit on silhouette rifles? On the nra website it doesn't state a weight for largebore classes.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

Are you asking how much it will weigh when it's all said and done? If thats the question I can tell you this, I have a 6mm Rem built on an intermediate 98 action with parts similar to those mentioned that you want to use on your custom. It weighs in right at 9.5lbs, almost 10 with a full mag. No muzzle brake, and I don't ever expect to see hits through the scope. as far as adding weight goes, a bull barrel will do it every time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How much weight could I add to the stock? I don't plan on hunting anything except paper or varmints, maybe some offhand shooting, so weight would be helpful.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking with the laminate stock and 20oz scope you should be in the 11 lb + range with your rifle.

If you want more weight you could hollow out the butt stock behind the recoil pad and add lead. You can also do the same under the barrel channel in the forend. Just add a little bedding compound over the top to hold it all in place.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you're going to see hits through the scope without a break though.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I read online a guy had a stock that recoilled straight back with no muzzle rise. It still kicked, but you could see hits. I was wondering how this worked. Recoil calculators say a light 22-250 and this should have about the same recoil, and sometimes I see hits with the 22-250, guess I'll just be hoping.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Shaw also has barrels that don't use the Savage barrel nut. A 1.125 contour weighs 7 lbs, a 1.250 contour weighs 9. That would add alot of weight, but probably make it too muzzle heavy.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Don't get it so heavy you need a wheelbarrow to get it to the bench rotflmo

I'm just guessing on not being able to see the bullet strikes. I've got a suppressed 11Lb Rem 700 that shoots a .223 rem and It moves too much to see the strikes. Maybe yours will be different.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I carry around a 13 lb Suhl for blackbirds and squirrels. Big Grin

Couple of questions since I've never done this before, if I went with a heavier barrel that didn't use a barrel nut, would there be any disadvantage, and is there a way to safely find headspace without go/no go gauges?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The weight limit for High Power Rifle silhouette used to be 10 lbs. 2 oz. I haven't seen a new rule book but I doubt that they changed it. Last I heard muzzle brakes were not allowed in silhouette either.

I don't like a heavy rifle for silhouette. Remember you have to hold it up for 40 rounds plus sighters. Tastes differ though.

A 6mm is marginal on rams. I have used a standard 6mm with 100 grain bullets and it was about 50% on rams. You can do a little better with a fast twist barrel and 107 match kings but you will still lose rams. The lighter calibers are easier to shoot well so you might be able to do better on the closer animals and that will make up for a few lost rams.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I like a heavy rifle, you have 2:30 for 5 shots, time enough to sit it down between shots.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

I think the 7mm-08 or even a 308 might make a better silouette rifle.

It's going to be heavy the way you want to set it up. You might better off buying a laminate blank and shaping the stock to fit you.

A thumbhole with a high cheek would make an exceptional standing silloutte rifle.

Make it heavy and it won't move so much.

Can you explain how 4-H shooting sports work? I have an 8 year old little girl, and I was in 4H when I was a kid ( I am only 32 now so still kind of a kid), so I want her to try it.

I am having a hard time coaxing her, any suggestions.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote