Find
Notify
Tools

Who Can Stress Relieve Barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
I need to have two barrels that I contoured for a double rifle, stress relieved again. I usually do not have this done, but I want to try it to make sure they don't try to walk on me; does anyone know who can do this work? I do not know who actually made the blanks as I have had them a long time and they are not marked. I want them cooked, not cryo'd.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I had a custom with a Pac-Nor barrel that Pac-Nor stress relieved and then relieved again after the smith fluted it. I don't know if they would do a barrel of someone's else making but it might be worth a call to ask.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
A common process from reputable Cryo people includes both freezing to 300 degrees below zero (slowly), holding the barrel at that temp for a period of hours, then bringing it slowly to 300 degrees or more above zero and holding it there for a number of hours.

Both contribute to stress relief.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
I had a custom with a Pac-Nor barrel that Pac-Nor stress relieved and then relieved again after the smith fluted it. I don't know if they would do a barrel of someone's else making but it might be worth a call to ask.

Chris Dichter (founder/owner of PacNor) financed a friend to set up a Cryo business near PacNor. I hear that was done at least partly so PacNor would have the service available nearby at a reasonable price.

To keep the cost more reasonable for all, that friend's business was cryoing for the general public as well as PacNor. To find out if they still do, I'd just call Chris at PacNor and ask.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will call them; I have used two PacNor barrels before.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote