New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recomended Gunsmithing Book(s)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JBelk and others... I am looking through Brownells catalog and was wondering if there are any Gunsmithing Books you recomend? Roy F. Dunlaps book "Gunsmithing"... any good? I have read the softbound ones you find in bookstores "Practical Gunsmithing" ect. Didnt learn much new.
PS: They discontinued the 2 line checkering file. I Know that Friedrich Dick Files of Germany makes checkering files, and perhaps a 2 line, as they have a huge assortment.

[ 01-15-2003, 18:56: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
>Roy F. Dunlaps book "Gunsmithing"... any good?<

Yes it is. I also like James V. Howe's books.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many libraries have these old books. Just use their bibliomation internet and find whats available in your network.

In fact if you call your library now they may have the website for you right now.

Just borrow whatever books they have and only buy one if you really want to.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smallfry

If I had to get by on only one gunsmithing book it would be Roy Dunlap's Gunsmithing. Also try all of the Jerry Kuhnhausen books, Riflesmithing by Jack Mitcell, Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks by Kennedy, all of Frank De Haas's books, Gunsmith Kinks I,II,III,IV, Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olson. These are out of print but worth looking for: Book of the Rifle and Do It Yourself Gunsmithing by Jim Carmichel and Hobby Gunsmithing by Raplh Walker. Also Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting by John Hinnant, The Gunsmith Machinist by Steve Acker, and The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page.

There are more good ones but these would give you a very good start.

You can make your own 2 line chekering files by getting some Starrett ground stock and chekering it, then hardening it.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is off the subject, but after reading Savage 99's post, you will never realize the value of a good library until you live where they are basicly non existant. One of the first things my family and I did when we moved back to the States was get our library cards. The internet is great, but will never equal a will written book and a hot cup of coffee.

Now you can get back to interesting posts.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote