New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting rings to claw mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A customer brought me a Mauser cigarette rifle yesterday with claw bases, but of course no rings. He has an old Weaver K4 scope he wants to mount. Can anyone recommend a 'smith that can supply the rings and fit to the bases? I found this: http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/index.asp , but are there other options?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I recently sent a drilling to J.J. Perodeaux at a Champlin Arms for fitting rings to the existing claw bases. Price was reasonable, work was completed in just a few weeks an J.J. Was a pleasure to work with.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane and John. I'll call Champlin in the morning to get a comparison. I warned him it would be pricey, and after reading about the machining and fitting process it's no wonder. IMHO this guy is going to be better off re-fitting the rifle for Talleys. If it were a Mauser Original it would be different, but this is just a cig rifle made from a K98k.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The least expensive route is to buy prefitted front ring and new base made by Recknagel or EAW. You knock out the old base and fit the new one. Then you only have to fit the new ring to the rear base. NECG charged me $650 for this work this summer.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give them a call. Champlin didn't respond to email.

quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
The least expensive route is to buy prefitted front ring and new base made by Recknagel or EAW. You knock out the old base and fit the new one. Then you only have to fit the new ring to the rear base. NECG charged me $650 for this work this summer.