Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem extracting a shell
 Login/Join

posted
I have a bolt action slug gun on a mauser action sometimes it ejects a shell and sometimes it doesnt. If you work the bolt relly quick it will eject the shell 60 % of the time. If you extract it slow will it only extract 10 % of the time. Is there any easy fix to this problem???? Could the extractor be worn or broken if so how can i tell

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the extractor is worn loose to me. Does it extract "better" with another round down in the magazine? If so, the extractor is probably too loose, losing control of the round it is extracting. The round down is helping to hold the empty up in the extractor....but I'm no gunsmith, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...

:-)

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What does worn loose mean ????

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are using both "extract" and "eject", but they are not the same thing. You extract a cartridge when you remove it from the chamber. You eject it when you throw it clear of the firearm. I suspect it is extracting shells but not always ejecting them. Correct? Where does the shell end up when it fails to eject?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It ends up back on top of the next round in the magazine .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ejection is accomplished by the ejector blade striking the rear edge of the cartridge case- in other words it works by impact. If the ejector was worn, or too short to begin with it could cause the problem with too light a pull on the bolt. If you remove the bolt from the action and look into the rear of the action you will see the ejector blade. It is attached on the left side in the same small housing you lifted to remove the bolt. It could be replaced. Back to you for examination.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here's the ejector, that flips the shell out.

Yours may look quite a bit different, I don't know as I've never instected one from a shotgun conversion.

What I'd try is peening the end to stretch it a little, and see if that solves your problem.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where i could find a mauser D extractor.

posted Hide Post
Sorry that was a mauser geha extractor

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GPC has the ejectors. but no extractors.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ohboy: Actually an extractor that does not support the case rim adequately can cause the same problem, particularly if you are testing it by single loading. My Brno 21H did the same thing and it wasn't until I watched it very closely that I thought it wasn't the ejector. Here's a simple test you can do to check; remove the floor plate and cartridge follower and spring assy. Load an empty case in the chamber and open the bolt and withdraw the bolt slowly. If the case drops out through the well then you may indeed have too little extractor tension or even a close enough fit to support the case.

With a loaded magazine or even the follower in place the empty is supported by those to some extent and the same thing does not always happen then. It took a new extractor to cure my Brno. I may never have noticed this hunting where you tend to cycle the bolt pretty snappily. I had been single loading at the bench and of course withdrawing the case gently so it didn't get flipped onto the cement. In most instances the case was left sitting loose on the follower before full bolt withdrawal was reached.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote