New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action Screws
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any information on the availability of socket head action screws for Mauser 98. Allen or Torx will work. Thanks, Dale.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at them now. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, had no idea anyone could charge $11 for one screw. I checked Brownells and found that they no longer carry the B Square ones.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That would have been my 1st place to look.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly about the cost of those screws. I have looked everywhere & since the B Square & Forester are no longer available it seems smiths are making their own for custom jobs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Wow, had no idea anyone could charge $11 for one screw. I checked Brownells and found that they no longer carry the B Square ones.

Check the price on these:

https://www.customshopinc.com/...y-butt-plate-screws/

One of Us
posted Hide Post

https://www.customshopinc.com/...y-butt-plate-screws/[/QUOTE]

That guy is a crook of the highest order. Passes himself off as a Colt authorized refinish operation. Johnny-Come-Lately faker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might check with the mfg directly Brownells may only be telling you "WE no longer carry them"

Posts: 3605 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:

That guy is a crook of the highest order. Passes himself off as a Colt authorized refinish operation. Johnny-Come-Lately faker.[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to check some of his other prices ? SKY HIGH !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:

That guy is a crook of the highest order. Passes himself off as a Colt authorized refinish operation. Johnny-Come-Lately faker.

Did you happen to check some of his other prices ? SKY HIGH ![/QUOTE]

I got skinned pretty good by him a few years back. Had a Python reblued and the polish was poorly done. I have been messing with Colts (as well as all other guns!) a good long while. Now I fix em for a living. Had a 19 year old redo an Officers Model Match 38 at Lassen College in 1977. He did a far better job that these guys. At least the match lines at the side plate and crane/frame joints were not dished all to hell. These guys are nice as long as you are hemorrhaging money their way. Not so friendly when poor work is rightfully questioned. If I had known he was a realty TV "star" I would have never sent the gun to him. Colt had it, then returned it as they stopped all revolver work. They suggested these guys. Avoid them like the plague. If they disappeared from our culture today, we would not be diminished in any way.
This should be on another thread. Got my blood up! Sorry for the hijack
Rant off.

$11 ain't so bad for a screw, if you need it.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
dale

you got a PM

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:

No kidding, I wouldn’t make one for that low.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean they should be made one at a time by hand; they invented automatic screw machines in 1860.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An interesting point that I read in my Military History Quarterly mag. It seems that the most important invention since the early middle ages has been deemed the screw thread. It makes sense, how many applications can you think of?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, you have a PM.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For sure the screw thread was a big step forward but what really made the difference was the start of the industrial revolution just before the Civil War. Remember Eli Whitney; he had a contract for 1816 Muskets and tried to get interchangeable parts, which was the goal of the Ordnance Department too; they never achieved it on a large scale. There were at least 8 makers of the 1816; all are different parts. Then there were no drawings; the contractor got a sample musket to copy, and a set of gauges made at Springfield or Harpers Ferry. The machines and processes and not been developed yet. The engine lathe, milling machine, micrometer, automatic screw machine, and a host of other machines and processes made all the difference in items that were largely made by hand to fit gauges, and could not be made fully interchangeable, to items that were simply snapped together from interchangeable parts. The Springfield 1861 Rifle-Musket was a good, and one of the first, examples of that. Produced by several makers, and mostly interchangeable parts.
And now with our CNC tools, there is no reason to be making screws one at a time and costing $22.
The next big development was the Bessemer Converter in the 1870s, making steel cheap and available. Before that, steel was only used for springs, etc. Most gun parts; barrels, frames, etc, were wrought iron.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Ullman isn’t using an auto screw machine, he’s using a small Tormach CNC lathe. I’d guess each screw has a few minutes machine time in two ops. No bar feeder. $11 after costs with profit is very fair.

Until someone wants to invest in a big run warranting use of a screw machine...probably a pretty poor investment.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that the 19th century saw advances in technology + the industrial revolution was aptly named. But the 20th century really changed everything that had come before + at a very rapid rate. Prior to 1900 things in the most part hadn't changed in centuries. But in the 20th, they were phenomenal. That not only concerns mfg. capabilities + new product design, but also the art of waging war.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I say that in firearms technology, which is why were are here, very little of significance happened after the late 1800s, and it all started in the 1830s. Even if we didn't have anything that happened in the 20th century, we would not notice much difference.
Maybe the advent of chrome moly steel, but I can't think of anything else that we needed in the last 120 years that would not make anything we use now.
Prior to 1900, things had not changed in centuries? No, it all started in the 1830s; before that gun making was very primitive. I can list the machines, materials, and designs that made it all happen, and all after 1830.
The art of waging war; (having taught that at the Command and General Staff College), yes we have come a long way, but the basic principles go way back, read Sun Tzu.
Back to the screws, still highway robbery; I know, for a custom rifle is it nothing and you are making the customer pay for it anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of you missed the important little detail about this part.

B-Square is GONE

Safari Land ( yes the holster maker ) bought them out a few years back, and early this year ALL of the B-Square gunsmithing parts, and scope rings/bases were dropped.

Another example of a big company buying out a little company and running it for a while then stripping it to nothing and walking away.

I knew the old man who started and owned B-Square for years, I still have the little 3C sized collet closer turret lathe ( Kitakura brand ) my Father bought from B-Square about 20 years ago, when B-Square was upgrading to CNC machines.

Sad state of affairs, try finding some of the B-Square scope mounts now.

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right you are Jim...many of you may have received the bankruptcy notice about Remington...Lots of smaller entities are part of the big picture, including Barnes Bullets.

I'm superstitious . AND suspicious

Posts: 3605 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Millett also got ground down to a name.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a call from Forster & was informed that they offer Mauser 98 guard screws but in slotted head only. They also stated there were no plans to offer the Allen head screws in the future. The Mauser accessory market is not large enough to support manufactoring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received some blank socket head action screws from Brownells ($8/20). They will make about anything you want. I am going to replace the screws on a HVA (6x1mm). If you are handy but not handsome, it is not difficult. I would probably not do them for $11 ea.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can't remove guard screws with a proper screwdriver, something is wrong. Allen screws have an advantage when separating the rifle under less than ideal conditions. For example, at night by the light of a campfire in a hunting camp.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is mauser used an odd pitch, 1/4-22 if memory serves, instead of the more standard 1/4-20. Since the action screws only go in a short distance, you may find that commercial 1/4-20 socket head cap screws might work since they are a bit sloppy. But the head is going to be too deep, so you would have to grind that down and then the socket may not be deep enough.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Brownells. They have 1/4-22 and any of the other dies that most of the action screws use.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote