New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action weights?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone familiar with these actions comment if the source I read (The Big Game Rifle, JOC) is correct with respect to weight. Or at least if the lightest to highest "hierarchy" is correct.

Mauser 98 - 2lb 10oz
Springfield 1903 - 2lb 12oz
Winchester 70 - 3lb
Enfield 1917 - 3lb 5.5oz

Just want to know if these are close to correct for planning a lightweight custom.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Frank DeHaas' "Bolt Action Rifles" 3rd edition, here's the deal:

Mauser 98: 45 oz
Springfield 03: 45 oz
Winchester 70 Classic: 48 oz
Winchester 70 Pre-'64: approx. 45 oz
Enfield 1917: 58 oz

Dunno how accurate his numbers are, but there they is [Big Grin]

Based on those numbers, if you want a lightweight on an Enfield, you'd better use styrofoam for a stock and a drinking straw for a barrel.

Best,
Joe

[ 05-28-2003, 02:38: Message edited by: nextjoe ]

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nextjoe has it all together, doesn't he? problem is, he probably isn't so far off base. it is established fact that military rifles are manufactured as heavy as possible so as to inflict the maximum weariness when carried for long periods of time.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was writing with tongue in cheek, of course. I'm sure you could cut down the weight on an Enfield quite a bit, if you really wanted to. The ears will be ground off on a sporter, which should drop a lot of weight. Take the rear bridge as thin as possible. Then you could reduce the magazine box depth, swiss-cheese the sides of it, or even go to a blind magazine. Use a hollow bolt handle, aluminum follower, even try lightening cuts like a G.33/40. If you really wanted to put the time, effort, and cost into it, I'm sure it could be done. It's just not the best way to get there from here, IMHO.

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote