Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping a stock to Europe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Does anyone know if it is still legal to ship a stock to Europe? Any restrictions I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call US Customs.

Unless there is some prohibition, duty or tariff by the importing country on wood products I don't imagine there would be any problem.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the value of the stock.

This is what the Brownells site has to say about shipping their gun parts Internationally. This same rule applies to all suppliers and I use Brownells comment to clarify.

quote:
Gun Parts:

******Disregard this note if shipping in the US. This note only pertains to International orders.******"If gun parts exceed $100.00 OR an Action, Receiver, Frame, Cylinder, Barrel, Flash Hider or Military Scope is orderd a State Department License is required. If your order requires an export license our Export Department will contact you."

For Canadians to get gun parts over $100.00(or actions, barrels, etc)from the States, the US Govt requires that we get an import permit from our Govt and send it with the order. The supplier then uses the import permit to get an export permit from the US Govt.

Of course if the stock is valued at less than $100.00 no permit is required.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I sold a 1910 Mex Mauser stock to a guy in Greece. Shipping was about $50.00 (USPO) and I had to fill out a customs form. I also sold a guy in Sweden a stock blank and it was about $70 shipping. The Mauser stock value was less than $100, The stock blank value was about $400 but since it was a hunk of wood it was kinda hard to call it gun related.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gent's.

I think I'll just pass on this one. It's on old Military take off which itself may cause an issue. The value is certainly under $100 but it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Kind of a shame.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stocks are not classified as "gun parts" as far as I know.

I have an old stock that I use for mounting a spotting scope...there is no rifle there.

I have also seen furniture made from old gun stocks.

It's just a hunk of wood unless and until you add a barelled action to it.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Stocks are not classified as "gun parts" as far as I know.

They are when you want to export them from the US. See 22CFR Parts 121 and 123 on the State Department website here.
'Components, parts, accessories and attachments' in S121.1(h) is a real 'catch-all'.

Part 123.17 provides for an export license exemption, if the 'gun parts' on the order have a wholesale value of less than USD100 total.

This is only if specified major parts like barrels, receivers, actions are not included - they require a license regardless of value.

Customs laws have their own definitions of what items are 'gun parts' - e.g. the Australian import definitions are different to the US export ones. So an over USD100 order of minor gun parts can require a US export license, but not an import permit at the Oz end.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to fill out a customs form when shipping any package out of the USA no matter what is in the package.

I would suggest calling any of the stock making companies and asking them if they their stocks are considered “gun parts†by US customs when they ship them overseas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Customs declaration form, yes. I'm aware of that one. A US State Dept export license is separate, and must be applied for in advance [takes 4-6 weeks].

Brownell's 'Overseas Order Information' flyer [available here] says this:

GUN PART DEFINITION. "Any item that is necessary for the operation of a firearm." Examples of firearm parts are, triggers, slides, firing pins, magazines, stocks, hammers, sears, safeties, etc.

And they would have as much export experience, in this field, as anyone around.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

See, you learn something new every day. Smiler