New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken tap in tang
 Login/Join

<Hutt>
posted
I need to know of any tricks to extract a broken tap from the tang on T/C muzzle loader.I cannot get another one because it is no longer availiable for the seneca cherokee models.It is acessable from both sides and flush with the metal on top and bottom, Size is number 29 bit W/8-32 tap,any ideas?..........Thanks.........Hutt

[This message has been edited by Hutt (edited 04-28-2002).]

<Indiana Tone>
posted
You might scout around for a machine shop that has a EDM tapburner or one of the older non-cnc EDM machines. If you can find a shop that has one it shouldn't cost very much to have it burned out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I broke a tap in the Aircraft, I used a tool that had fingers that slipped down the flutes of the tap and let you apply pressure to back it out. Some times it even worked. >> Broken tap extractor.
Hope this may help..
Scout...

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
My dentist saves me his dental burs. You won't believe what these things will cut! I chuck them in a dremel tool & VERY CAREFULLY grind the center of the tap away till the remaining parts are loose.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
Thanks for the replies because one of them reminded me that my nephew here in town has an EDM and CNC equipment for his buisness.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your dentist is stingy like mine (Uncle Sam), you can also use the SOLID CARBIDE dremel tool bits. Most of them cost about $16.

I chuck them up in my mill-drill with a collet, and burn out the tap at high speed (this is not for the faint hearted). The mill-drill allows you to get perfect alignment and steadiness, so the threads in your gun don't get destroyed (usually).

For future reference, some folks grind a ring around their taps, above the threads, but below where the handle attaches. If its deep enough, the tap will break at the groove before it breaks at the threads. This allows you to grip it with vise grips or something to remove it MUCH easier. - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easy way is to use a punch and a hammer and knock the crap out of it...taps are very brittle an it will shatter into little tiny chunks, but you need to know how to do this...your gunsmith can do it for you.

In this case prevention is worth a pound of cure, don't break them off in there.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"punch and a hammer and knock the crap out of it...taps are very brittle an it will shatter into little tiny chunks,"

Yes!.....

unless it is a high speed type. Carbon types can be busted up. You can even tap your part with a hammer and make it ring like a bell. Do this for a while and the tap will crumble. Unless it is a high speed type. The only way I have ever been able to get a high speed 6-48 out is with the diamond dental burr trick. Just stroke the flutes and slice it to bits.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I have used the same method as Ray. It has worked for "carbon" , High Speed Steel, Cobalt alloy. Taps are through hardened and brittle as glass. They will all come apart. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES THOUGH! The pieces fly our with some authority!

Todd E