THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WeatherbyUltralite (6 lug) into Edge Stock??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were to attempt a fit of such a weatherby into an McmillanEdgeStock would you start with the rem700 or M70 inlet?
As far as I know they do not offer MkVslim ultra light receiver inlets.
Maybe Mcmillan can supply a stock without specific inlet or action crew holes, anyone know?
receiver.

Factory rifle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you spoken with the folks at McMillan? Give them a call as they will know better than any other party about which action will fit in any given stock pattern.

I know, by that which they have told me, that the magnum MK V will not fit in any pattern not specifically designed for it. This due to the MK V being too deep to fit into other patterns and leave enough clearance for the magazine box and bottom metal. They do now make the classic styled Weatherby Express pattern and as far as I know they will kake any of their stocks using the Edge technology. If the six lug MK V has the same sction screw spacing as the larger I would think that what you want should be doable.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MrReed,
Yes I do need to speak with McMillan. Ive sort of heard recently that they will do lighter"Edge type construction" versions in exhisting styles. One of our posters here says he had an M70fw style done lighter.
Maybe a MelForbes NULA stock,model 24 would fit also,(ive heard he does some fitting to other receivers)his recievers are 1.220"dia., surely not far off 6lugMkV dia. Its Kevlar/graphite, weight is around 20oz finished.
some would say just get a NULA,many folk are happy with them. but I much prefer the features of MkV:integral bolthandle,shroud/safety design,integral recoil lug, thats enough to swing me.
The large 9lugMkv is a clunky horse, but the trim 6lug is a good thing.

One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
Whilst on the subject of Weatherby's.
I'd luv to know how difficult it would be to rebarrel a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight,from 308W into 358W?
I couldn't see it being that much of a choir.Just a rebarrel job,sandpaper & a bit of elbow grease.

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote