New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Yugo Mausers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came across an ad in "Shotgun News" that featured a number of Yugoslav 48/48A Mausers for sale, in good to very good condition. When looking up in my books for the potential for sporterizing this variant, I came across a note in Kuhnhausen's Mauser shop manual that said these Mausers were "safety breeched" versions, and "many receiver rings aren't marked". Any idea what this would mean in terms of using these rifles for sporterizing?

And are these good rifles to sporterize, or are there too many problems associated with this variant, and should stick to the Turks, VZ 24's, and other variants known for good sporterizing?

TXLoader

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one to help me here?

TXLoader

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
near as i can tell, safety breech versions of this rifle have an extractor cut in the barrel face, not all mausers do. recievers not marked means no crest. the thing with 48 yugos is that they are an intermediate length. thats ok but it is not the best for 30/06 length cartridges. i converted one to 30/06 at one time and it shoots quite well.however, since the magazine was not modified, i have to use round nose bullets to obtain a COL that will fit in the mag and feed properly. spitzers etc will work, but the seating depth needed to get them in the mag and to work thru the action seems way to excessive for my taste. convert it to a cartridge with an OAL like 7X57, 257 roberts and you should be ok.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLoader:
were "safety breeched" versions, TXLoader

There is a small "recess" in the end of the barrel, and a cut out for the extractor. I think they'd be ideal for anything in the .308 cartridge size, not so good for something in the .30-06 size...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Safety breeching in Mausers allows the cartridge to be seated deeper into the barrel. There is a cutout in the barrel face for the extractor to fit into. These 98's are as strong as any other good 98. Theoreticaly a bit more so due to the safety breeching feature. The theroretical (again) weakness in the design lays in the absence of the little lip on the left side of the bolt face. This lip helps support the fired case head open extraction. The magazine box is a bit shorter than the standard 98 box too. I hope this is of some help.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 04-10-2002).]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done several of these rifles and the other comments are true there is an extractor cut in a very short barrel extension that extends back into the action. This causes another problem that I have run across. There is no ejector lump protruding from the edge of the bolt. This tall lump aids in keeping the shell held against the extractor until striking the ejector. If there is play between the extractor groove in the bolt and the matching tang of the extractor your shell will only partially extract before droping free of the extractor.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, all!

I have this rifle in mind for a 338-308 project that's just giving me all sorts of itching, so magazine length will be fine.

A question, though...since the rifle is going to be re-barrelled anyway, the bolt features won't contribute too much in the way of extraction problems, will they? Or can I simply order replacement parts that convert the assembly to a regular Mauser set-up?

TXLoader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just use a tried-and-true like the VZ-24/22, Persian/29, etc? They are readily available, made of the same alloy steel, and you don't have to mess with the safety breeching. Another hurdle you haven't hit yet is stocking an intermediate length Mauser -- not many people make them (in fact none that I know of other than Great American Gunstocks).

Good luck,

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Todd,
FAC in Minn. is selling drop-in stocks for the intermediate length mauser, laminated and pre-fit walnut. Action drops right in ,a bit loose in spots, bbl. channel cut for a #2 or #3 contour but accepts a mil-step with some gaps around the chamber area. Nicely finished,flat and smooth with what seems to be a laquer type. Some figure in the wood, I'm satisfied for $99. Boyd stock, only available thru FAC.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

If the VZ or the Persian were advertised as being in very good to excellent condition for about $50-$60 and locally available, I'd be first in line! The truth is, they're usually about double that....

The Yugos I saw were for that price at a place in Abilene, TX, where a brother-in-law lives. Since my family is due to head that way for a visit, the price is very desirable and it'd be a close-by shop while visiting family. If I saw the VZ 24 or the Persian/29 there for that price, you're right...I'd likely opt for those models.

I thought that Yugo 48's and 48A's for the price of a Turk just might be a great buy.

TXLoader