New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost the black forend tip on my Rem Mtn. Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a .260 Remington 700 Mountain Rifle that I really like and was very dissappointed to see that the black forend tip had come unglued and I cannot find it anywhere. I think they are plastic and my rifle has two dowel holes where it fit in the stock.

Where is the best place to order a new one or will I have to send it back to Remington to have it replaced (hope not!) And what would be the best glue to stick it back on with?

Thanks for any help. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a bit handy you might consider putting an ebony tip in place of the plastic. It would take a little skill, but would sure make it look better than the plastic.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wheather you do it yourself or not, i can't see putting the plastic back on. if you can't do it, take it a local smith and ask him what he'd want to put a piece of ebony, or even rosewood on it. as dall85 said, it's not that hard to do if you have just basic handiness, and there's plenty of guys on here that can give you good advice.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably have a chunk of african blackwood around that would make a very pretty forend tip.
Certainly far better then plastic.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Back 40, What would you sell the wood for?

Before my eyesight got so bad, I used to be a fair handyman. A loss of peripheral vision has me unable to drive and see lots of things. I am real bad about laying something down and then not being able to find it. Aging brain too. I want this gun to look right for my nephew or son; whoever I decide to give it to.

I know a good gunsmith near Little Rock, AR where my sister could drive me. I'll call him and see what he suggests. Merg

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Merganser,

You are on the right track...especially if you want to hand this rifle...put a reasonable piece of wood back on there and you it will be remembered all the more..

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, no charge for a piece of wood for a favorite rifle. Just give me a rough estimate of size, also of min barrel channel size and I could mill or router a groove if you want. if going to a smith, he may want to do it all himself. Send me an address and I'll get it out asap.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by merganser1:
Thanks guys,

Back 40, What would you sell the wood for?

Before my eyesight got so bad, I used to be a fair handyman. A loss of peripheral vision has me unable to drive and see lots of things. I am real bad about laying something down and then not being able to find it. Aging brain too. I want this gun to look right for my nephew or son; whoever I decide to give it to.

I know a good gunsmith near Little Rock, AR where my sister could drive me. I'll call him and see what he suggests. Merg

quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
No, no charge for a piece of wood for a favorite rifle. Just give me a rough estimate of size, also of min barrel channel size and I could mill or router a groove if you want. if going to a smith, he may want to do it all himself. Send me an address and I'll get it out asap.

Well shoot.......

Merganser, if Back 40 is going to donate a chunk of wood to help fix up someones favorite rifle, the least I can do is offer to donate the labor and materials as well.

Feel free to use whomever you want, but if you mail the stock to me I'll fit, shape, and finish the forend for you. If you want to take me up on this, just PM me with your email or phone number and we can go from there.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, if your taken up on your generous offer I'll send the wood straight to you. I have a good size piece ready to go, big enough for several forends or pistolgrips, knife handles ect if you want to make something for yourself out of it. It's harder then hard, and finishes up like glass when it's done. All I've ever used is beeswax for a finish so not sure what will absorb and dry onto it.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Mark, I also live between tow rivers in Middle USA. What two rivers do you refer to? I live between the Mississippi and the Rock river. coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Ol Crip,

I live between the Mississippi and the Illinois rivers, just a little ways above where they come together.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark/Back 40,

Thanks so much for your generosity. I will take you up on this deal and do something good for someone else in return!

My computer is very old and does'nt always send and receive PM's like it is supposed to, but I'll have a PM coming your way Mark. Thanks a bunch! Merg