THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Purchasing and picking up a rifle from a different state, is it possible?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing and picking up a rifle from a different state, is it possible?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Hi all,

I was asked a question I'd never heard before and wondered if anyone here know if it was possible-

Can a person who wanted to go hunting in a different state legally purchase a rifle in that particular state and then bring it back with him to his home state? Is there a legal work-around other than having it "loaned" for the hunt, then after the hunt the "loaner" could deliver it to a FFL who then ships it to a receiving FFL in the home state? The receiving FFL needs to have the rifle in his posession to record it, doesn't he?

Anyway, I'm only interested in BATF approved methods of doing this and not planning on doing it myself but I thought it was a good question.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would be the difference between this situation and one where you live in state A, buy a rifle there, then move to state B? You wouldn't transfer all your rifles through an FFL if you moved to a different state. I honestly can't see that this is an issue. I've never thought that crossing state lines was the problem, but rather transfer of ownership to an FFL holder. If the FFL holder sells you the rifle, then it's yours to do with (legally) as you wish. That would include taking it back home.

Now, the fly in the ointment here might be face-to-face sales where no FFL transfer is made...but if you purchased the rifle from an FFL in the state you're visiting I can't see a problem. I live in southeast TN and I know people go to gun shows in north Georgia all the time and buy things and bring them back home.

I'm probably not helping you...it is a good question.

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long guns may be purchased in one state by a resident of another state. There is nothing in federal law to prevent you from transporting such long gun to another state, so if there is no state law or regulation prohibiting it then it is lawful to do so.

Handguns may only be purchased in a state other than that of your residency if you are in an adjacent state and no state law prevents it.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, long guns may be bought in a state you do not live in and brought home with you. I live within 5 miles of Missouri and it is done all the time legally with the dealers I use.

This, on the otherhand will get you in trouble every time.

quote:
Handguns may only be purchased in a state other than that of your residency if you are in an adjacent state and no state law prevents it.

Here is the BATFE FAQ:

quote:
(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may
purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State,
provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the
purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful
sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
(B3)

I have yet to have anyone show me the BATFE regulation that says this does not apply in adjacent states.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote