New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Electroless Nickel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know how. I have an engraved bottom metal piece for a model 70 and it would look better blued on a CM rifle.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Chic,

Brownells Item #082-078-160. Stripper for all nickel plating including electroless. Safe, easy to use.

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm,
Thank you. There is some nice engraving on this piece of bottom metal and it will look best blued and maybe french greyed in some places.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Chic,

Your welcome. I seen a rather sharp looking engraved floor plate a while back that had a silver nitride finish that seemed to fade into the black of the surrounding bottom metal. Always wondered how they produced that Vignette look... Can they selectively apply the nitride finish like that?

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm, I am not sure without seeing it. I do know the engravers use a "stick", a crayon like applicator, with engraving black and rub it into the background low lying areas. It is a lacquer of some kind and can be baked on for a more permanent look, it is used to darken Bulino engraving dots.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Chic,

This area this finish covered was solid silver and then just faded right into the black... Pretty sharp looking. Thanks.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone does this for money? I have a Mauser hinged triggerguard that someone either chromed or nickeled [badly] that needs to be cleaned off. I was thinking of bead blasting, but the finish is pretty smooth right now, I'd hate to roughen it.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote