New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle Co. 404 Jeffery Barrels
 Login/Join

<Rusty>
posted
Just happend to be looking over the specs on their barrels, I have ordered their PH series action and their #5 contour barrel.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the groove diameter of ther 404 Jeffery listed to be .424 with a .416 bore diameter. Isn't the classic groove diameter .423? After all I went to the trouble to reserve action #423! I think the barrel ought to match! Perhaps they have changed their specs and not updated their site?

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

There seem to be barrels around in .423, .422, .421, and .418. I can't say that I would have expected .424, but with the 404 it seems that there is no such thing as a "standard" diameter [Wink] .Bullets are generally listed as .423, but in measuring my bullets on hand I am finding that they are actually .422(Barnes monolithics) and .4225(Woodleigh and Barnes X). This is all part of the fun of owning a 404 [Big Grin] .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
I just got off the phone with Bob at Montana Rifle Co. and indeed their barrels are .424.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Danger Will Robinson!

I have two copies of drawings for .404 Jeffery chambers, both claim to be descended from the CIP standard. One is from Dave Kiff's Pacific Tool courtesy of John Ricks, and the other is from JGS. The groove size is .4181" on both drawings, and the bore size is .4098".

The begged question is how worried to be about a .424" barrel shooting .423" (and smaller bullets). Pressures will be lower, and you get some "slug up" on firing. Perhaps accuracy won't be a problem.

This is why I commented in your post on the project that I recommended choosing the load first, then the barrel.

I will be interested to see what the .404 shooters have in the way of barrel diameter and bullet diameters.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I would be completely unworried. If the "slug up" mentioned by Hunter Jim is what I am thinking, the material displaced by the lands when the bullet engages, well...this is a big enough bullet there is going to be plenty material. It should fill and seal with no probs. My opinion only of course.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Jim, Roger, thanks for your input!

Jim, I have chosen a load and the bullets I will be shooting will be primarily Woodleighs. As I understand most of those mic around .422-.4225.
My idea of a classic 404 Jeffery is a .423 barrel.

Montana Rifle Co. has a very good reputation for accurate barrels, I would have been happy with their product, had it come in a .423 barrel.

So now the choice for me, is either Lothar or Pac-Nor. I have spoken to Ray and he like the Lothar barrels while, I think, John opts for the Pac-Nor.
I would be satisfied with either, I just want an accurate barrel that looks good with the action.

Which brings us to the question of contours.
Opines?

Speaking of good looking rifles, how about this one from Mauser? A 98 Magnum Action!
 -

Rusty
We band of brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I would expect that you will be happy with either barrel. I am also going to build one but am thinking of getting a large blank and building all the fixtures on it integral with the barrel. I might cheat and do a half round/half octagon. That would save me a lot of time with draw filiing all the flats off on a round barrel with an integral quarter rib. I may have snagged #404 before you got there.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

I just received my first rifle with a Lothar Walther barrel, and it operates very well indeed. This one is a .375 H&H, and initial signs are that it shoots everything to the same place. At least the four types of ammunition I tried did, more testing to follow.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Why don't you save yourself all the agravation, toil and trouble associated with BOLT RIFLE TRASH?
Just get yourself another Double Rifle, either a step above or a step below the 400 Jeffery.
Champlins has a 400/360 and a 275 Flanged, and Westley Richards has a 280 Flanged Nitro Express to die for.
After all you are worth it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
NE450,
Ah, for the simpler days of double rifles! Just find one ya like and take it home! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Wow! that is a nice Mauser Mod-98...Love that old Alkanet Root strain. That is a lost art.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

-

Lovely rifle! Looks like it is set up for the open sights - makes sense. And a round foreend that does not look like half a baseball bat [Wink] , I like it!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've spoken to Brian and he said it is a misprint, the actual groove diameter is .4235"

<Rusty>
posted
Dan,
Thanks. When I spoke to Bob yesterday he said it was .424. Your barrels have a great reputation and I'd like to have your barrel on your action, I just need a .423 unthreaded, unchambered blank 26" long.

I would also like to thank Bob Stanton and you for your kind assistance and your answers to all my questions. I look forward to having a beautiful rifle made on your PH action!

Rusty
We band of brothers!