New
Find
Notify
Tools

montana action or CZ550??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any thoughts on which is the better action as far as build quality and durability?
I'm looking at doing a custom 470 capstick and have access to purchase either action>Any thoughts

thanks

Posts: 120 | Location: yukon | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like cz's and a cz safari magnum would make a nice .470 capstick.....the 602 Brno and cz 550's are good solid actions and you will get six shot capacity with the capstick round in the cz's. You als have square bridges which is another nice feature.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
me thinks you are comparing jelly donuts to cream donuts. i think they are both well made actions and it is up to you to decide what features that each has that appeals to you. i find it interesting that cz is now marketing a montana variation. this speaks to what cz thinks of that action.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
In this case, it's mostly a question of how much you like a 3 pos safety. If it's required, then the MRM, if it's "eh, don't care" then go with the cheaper one.

either one will hold a fist full of 470 capsticks

BUT!!!!

only the cz will build you a 470 mbogo (which is what you really really really want) anyway
www.470mbogo.com

i've shoot dave's rifles, and mike and I built one... at 2150, it's got a HUGE amount of powder and power left.. and at 2500, it's still comfy to shoot... Mike and I load his to 2250, 500 grains... it's light, like 10.5, but it's sure fun.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I have once fired brass and ch4d dies for capstick I am thinking about selling or tradeing off. Also have an enfield action but not sure if its going until I put the 600 threw test firing this weekend.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ (Ceska Zbrojovka) doesn't market the Montana action, and it is not listed on their website. I think they are pretty content with their own products. CZ-USA is marketing the Montana action, but they are merely an importer and customer service contact for Ceska Zbrojovka. They are probably free to engage it whatever domestic pursuits they wish, but most folks have not had good service from them.

The 550 has an original Mauser self-locking extractor, the M70 doesn't. The double square bridges and single set trigger are nice touches as well. The 550 needs a wing safety that locks the bolt. I am unaware of any at this time. The closest thing is the M70 style, which is on the wrong side for most right handed shooters.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Actually, their new stainless rifle in the short magnums is the MRC barreled action. They neither sell the parts or advertise that the gun isn't made by them (yet).

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But like he said, this is the American distributer for CZ. Not CZ. They are two seperate entities. CZ-USA wanted to get in on the WSM market, and got MR to make the barreled actions.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I read right right through that without registering. Another senior moment. Man, they just come faster and faster.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote