THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

remington 721 stock fitted to a 700 ADL???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I have a late 80's remington ADL that shoots pretty good it has the monte carlo stock. I prefer a stock with a little drop at the heel. Someone here suggested using an old 721 stock, So I have a few questions about weather or not this would work. The 721 stocks have a cutout for bottom metal, will the 721 bottom metal and trigger guard work with a 700,?? or will BDL bottom metal work?? also what about the bolt cut out in the stock will this match a 700??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
C C

The bolt angle is different. It will work but the inletting will look kinda crappy. Also the tang has a different shape and that will look a little odd too. On the plus side I know the bdl bottom metal will work with little fuss on a 721/722 so it should go the other way as well. As far as the notch for the bolt handle goes I would try and fill it in with a like colored piece of wood and re-inlet the bolt handle for the best results. So what you want to do should work out ok with a little planning and ingenuity.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this bizarre idea. Why not just buy a stock designed for your particular action with the drop that you want, instead of trying to scab one together?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
rick that sounds like a great idea, I would like to not spend a bunch of money, so a custom stock would prolly be more than i wanna worry about, do you have any suggestions

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the classified ads on this site?

There are lots of stocks out there that aren’t necessarily “custom†that might just be what you’re looking for. Numrich Arms also has some great deals on new factory stocks allot of the time.

I recently bought a beautiful ADL factory stock from a guy in the classified section on this site for a very good price.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you buy a take-off ADL stock and rasp off the Monte Carlo to a make straight comb. You won't have to redo the pad, but you will need to refinish the stock.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Glen's advice. Rasp off the Monte Carlo and refinish. You could also find a project ADL stock on ebay. The M78 stock also works on your ADL if you get to looking. This project should not cost too much, unless you ruin some exceptionally nice factory wood.

NorthGaAire

Posts: 268 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cummins Cowboy,

I’m confused...but not to worry, I get that way pretty easy sometimes.Smiler

What is it you are trying to accomplish with this stock change?

You said you were seeking “more drop†than what the Monte Carlo style afforded...correct?

“Drop†on a stock, to me, is the vertical distance below the line of sight to the top portion of the butt...or the heel of the stock.

You can rasp away at the comb area all day long and that isn’t going to change the drop one bit. What it is going to do is make it pretty difficult to line you eyes up with the sights...especially if you use a scope.

Cahnging the drop at the heel on a stock that has already been fitted with a buttplate/pad is not real practical is it?