THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    pattern stocks/semi-inlets other than richards/GAG

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pattern stocks/semi-inlets other than richards/GAG
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hey guys, man I'm in a pickle. I've been looking at stocks a lot the last few weeks since I'm at that point in a project. And while I'll have one gun in the end that is gorgeous, I can't afford to have them all done. but man I've got some UGLY guns! those horrid rollovers, big monte-carlos, things you wouldn't wish on your enemy.

I may, in a couple of cases, be able to use the existing stocks as patterns, and have them duplicated. aside from that though, where can a guy get semi-inlets, or patterns even? I'm really fond of the mauser type a and b patterns, straight top combs (not straight in line with the bore, just not monte-carlo) and more open grip than many of mine have.

We're talking enfield and mausers here. My springfields should be fine down the road since I should have a great pattern for them.

I have one blank here I was going to use, but the stock I thought I could pattern up, well, it ain't as pretty a starting point as I thought I remembered, and I'm pure amateur.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may try Al Lind. I know Al will cut stocks to his patterns.....and he makes a VERY nice rifle stock.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had Al Lind turn a blank for me from one of his patterns. He does great work (as far as I can tell) but you need to be aware that he does leave a lot of extra wood so that you can do some shaping yourself, and there will be considerable inletting to do, which is a good thing so that you can fit your particular bottom metal.

Call him . He is a nice guy.

http://www.allindgunmaker.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
found this on line royalarmsgunstocks.com

never used them but seem to remember them from way back, have a new owner and web site

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
but man I've got some UGLY guns! those horrid rollovers, big monte-carlos, things you wouldn't wish on your enemy.

aside from that though, where can a guy get semi-inlets, or patterns even? I'm really fond of the mauser type a and b patterns, straight top combs (not straight in line with the bore, just not monte-carlo) and more open grip than many of mine have.

Great American Gun Stocks has some nice patterns. Grips, cheek pieces and combs can be re-shaped. You might consider stripping some of your stocks and doing "plastic surgery" on them. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, someone w/a duplicator might be able to reshape those areas from a pattern.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Try The Biesens as well:

http://www.biesen.com/Stock%20work_4.html

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote