New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 max?
 Login/Join

Picture of nighthunter1974
posted
I have a Winchester model 94AE cal. .357mag. I was woundering if it could be rechambered to accept the longer .357max cartrige? Would it handle the extra presure the catrige produces? Any ideas or commects would be gratly appriceated.

Thanks guys.

Good Hunting!

Posts: 22 | Location: north tx. | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that anyone has actually done it, but like you, I've thought about it. It would clean up the ridiculously long factory chamber.

The 94 certainly can handle the pressure.

Feeding may have to be tweaked for the longer round.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you would have trouble rechambering it. But I woudl wonder if you could get it to feed that might be more trouble.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been thinking along those same lines, but on a slightly bigger scale......I have a 44 mag trapper that really wants to be a 445 SuperMag! From looking at mine, the lifter would need to be modified for the longer cartridge.....other than that, the conversion looks pretty straightforward.

Does anyone know if the pistol caliber 94s share the same receiver as the 30-30? If so, a modified 30-30 lifter might be exactly what is needed for the conversion.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of nighthunter1974
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for letting me know I'm not totaly crazy having the idea.I was still hoping some one had tried it or a gunsmith could say it's at the least possible,and what the cost's may be.
thanks again.

Posts: 22 | Location: north tx. | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote