Find
Notify
Tools

Octagonal Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

I'm thinking about an octagonal barrel for a 257 Roberts Ruger #3 that I'm putting together. I've looked at Badger and Lothar Walther but both are pretty much beyond my budget by the time I get them here (if I can get actually get them out of the US/GDR). Does any-one know of more modestly priced octagonal tubes ?

Is it feasible to have an existing heavy barrel re-tapered to octagonal - say a Remington varmit take-off ? Any leads on who does this sort of thing and how much it might cost would be appreciated.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would seem a shame to go that far with a project, then use a take-off barrel! A decent machine shop could mill the flats for you, as long as it's done right.

<JOHAN>
posted
Tentman
Heym makes a range of barrels for Ruger No 1 and other actions http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/english/S_Downl/lauefe03.pdf

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wind River Rifle Company makes octagon barrels for single shots with dealer costs around $150.00 bucks. Brownell’s carries them under part # 171-100-025 for a .257 caliber.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
montana rifle company makes octagonal barrels. I have not shot them, but their prices are better than L-W, and they are made in Montana.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OCTAGINAL BARRELS and MODESTLEY priced do not go together...if you cannot affored to get one of the top barrel makers to do it settle for a good quality cut rifle barrel you will be a lot happier ...try a obermyer barrel boots is a great guy to deal with and will bend over back wards to help you
daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
M 98, I certainly do agree with that concept!

Form follows function. I'd rather have a top-quality round barrel that I could afford than a mediocre octagonal barrel that was priced the same or maybe a bit higher. Nobody cares if your barrel is round or octagonal up on the moutain, but any accuracy gain you might enjoy with a top-flight barrel might just make all the difference........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut octagon for a living. If you would like a Shilen, Krieger, Douglas, Hart or Lilja milled into an octagon I'm your man. You can look at my work at http://www.gunmaker.net. Email me for the cost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Stratton:
I cut octagon for a living. If you would like a Shilen, Krieger, Douglas, Hart or Lilja milled into an octagon I'm your man. You can look at my work at http://www.gunmaker.net. Email me for the cost.

Tentman......While I haven't got to see first-hand Mark's work; his reputation precedes him.

When this thread came up, he was the first one that came to mind. He definitely knows a thing or two about octagon barrel work.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a 1/2 Octagon 1/2 round barrel on a Lever action recently which I got from Montana Rifleman. It looks perfect and the flats are very clean and sharp.
The next one will have a tapered round. I believe the price was around $300 or something like that.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote