New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info: Steyr Manlicher in 8X60 Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an oppertunity to acquire a Manlicher Stocked Steyr Rifle with butter knife bolt handle and double set triggers. Apparently it is chambered in 8X60mm Magnum. I have not been able to find out much about this round except it is supposed to approximate the 300 H&H. Where would I get Dies and brass? Or what is the parrent case from which I could make brass? This is a very nice rifle that is in very good shape. It would be nice to be able to shoot it too. Thanks

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
You should be able to get dies from RCBS. I had an 8x60RS in a Geyger double. Brass was the only problem with it as it was a rimmed case. Cases were made from 9.3x74R brass and RCBS again had the forming dies. I don't think the rimless cases are a problem but 8x60's were made in both .318 and .323. The S denotes .323. Very good round the "Bombe" was loaded to 300 H&H range. I think it's a very good plains game round.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Unless you're sure precisely what size bore you have, you may want to slug the bore and mic it.

You can buy RWS brass at Natchez Shooters Supplies for $23.00 for 20 pieces. I would imagine you could also form brass from 30-06 though that would need lots of trimming. Dies for this caliber are expensive, but easy enough to find. I have not yet found any reloading data anywhere. This is a very useful caliber though and I believe you'll enjoy it a lot.

Incidentally, may we see a picture of the rifle?

Well done on your new aquisition! clap

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The 8x60S was written up by Ken Waters in the Nov/De issue of Handloader and back issues were available a couple of years ago from the publisher. He formed the cases from 06 brass. Good load data. I used the 200 gr Speer with 48gr of IMR4064 and it regulated perfectly in my double with 1/2" groups from each bbl and 1" spread between bbls.There also was data from this forum also but it didn't use 4064 but 4895 and 4350 which did not shoot in my gun. In fact that's how I found AR. Hope this helps.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
That was the Nov/Dec 1985 issue,sorry.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

No pictures yet. I think I just managed to talk my wife into agreeing to the purchase. Will see tomarrow.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a long email from Sellier & Bellot about their own former 8x60 ammo (stopped in 1970). As to reloading data, they are included in the RWS/RUAG, DEVA, Nobel Sport reloading handbooks.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote