New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounts and JB weld ??'s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at buying a used Win. Model 94 and the previous owner used JB weld to secure the scope bases on the barrel.

What is the best way to remove the bases with the least amount of damage to the barrel?

Will the JB weld permanently damage the blueing?

Thanks-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly1:
I'm looking at buying a used Win. Model 94 and the previous owner used JB weld to secure the scope bases on the barrel.

What is the best way to remove the bases with the least amount of damage to the barrel?

Will the JB weld permanently damage the blueing?

Thanks-Ron

I believe you can “pop†most epoxies loose by the judicious [!!!] application of heat...but I wouldn’t expect the bluing underneath to be any prettier when you’re done.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To clean the last bits of expoxy off, vinegar helps.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
vinegar helps

Since vinegar is an acid wouldn't it remove the blueing?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you start worrying about saving your bluing you might want to get the bases and J-B off and see if its something you need to be worrying about. As far as you know right now there ain’t any bluing under there to save! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck breaking epoxy loose from smooth surfaces by freezing the item and rapping it with a plastic or wooden mallet.

Dry Ice, applied to the scope mount, might be a good substitute if you can't get the rifle in the freezer.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete’s suggestion is a better one than mine and I would try that before trying other methods.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before you start worrying about saving your bluing you might want to get the bases and J-B off and see if its something you need to be worrying about. As far as you know right now there ain’t any bluing under there to save!

My question was in reference to removing epoxy from a blued rifle. Not specific to his case.

I've used AZ Pete's freeze method to remove epoxy just curious about the vinegar methods potential damage.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Before you start worrying about saving your bluing you might want to get the bases and J-B off and see if its something you need to be worrying about. As far as you know right now there ain’t any bluing under there to save!

My question was in reference to removing epoxy from a blued rifle. Not specific to his case.

I've used AZ Pete's freeze method to remove epoxy just curious about the vinegar methods potential damage.

Sorry for the confusion, but I didn’t post that in response to your question.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
No offense taken. beer

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No offense taken. beer

In answer to your question I would suggest applying a small amount of vinegar to a piece of blued steel and seeing what happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response guy's.

As far as the blueing is concerned, I haven't purchased the gun yet and if the blueing and or metal is going to be buggered up then I won't buy the gun. I dont want a gun looking like a turd and then have to invest a couple more big Ben's in it.

Sounding like I may pass on the gun..........Unless Winchester (I called Win and they said they used screws only) used screws and gum-pucky to fix the base to the barrel and did a poor job?

Thanks again-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
In answer to your question I would suggest applying a small amount of vinegar to a piece of blued steel and seeing what happens.

I have, it takes the blueing off(at least hot blueing). Just thought I might be missing something.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use acetone to clean up traces of epoxy.

Mind the fumes, though, and be sure to oil or grease the metal afterwards.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Methyl chloride will also remove most epoxies.

I don't know what effect it has on bluing...probably very little.

Methyl chloride is typically used to join two pieces of plexiglass together. It's pretty easy to find.

My preferred method is to put the piece in a
-40C freezer, like we have here at the hospital. Epoxy doesn't like subzero temperatures, and loses it's adhesion.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have, it takes the blueing off(at least hot blueing). Just thought I might be missing something.

jumping

That’s pretty funny! If you have already determined that vinegar eats the bluing why did you ask the question??????????

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s pretty funny!

Didn't mean to be funny. I had used it to actually remove some blueing. I just thought maybe using it different (more delute or something) might actually remove the epoxy without damage. Plus everytime I say somethng will happen someone proves me wrong so I hate to talk in absolutes?

Wasn't trying to be a smarta$$ just trying to learn something new.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K