New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Gunsmith suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The time has come to begin another project and for this one, I'm in need of some help. I am undertaking the ultimate high country rifle project on a Ruger #1. This rifle will be light and immensely powerful chambered in 338-378wby. I have a bare stainless action to start with and I need suggestions for a good smith to barrel it so that it will hold under MOA with proper ammunition provided I do my part. I chose the 338-378wby because it has been a cartridge I have a great deal of experience with and I can think of nothing better in a rifle designed to hunt all that North America has to offer. If any of you all have seen some nice work on a Ruger like this, please chime in with the smith that did it. At the moment, I am looking into Gary Reeder, but that is the only one that I have found that has a proven track record of doing this kind of work.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Penrod comes to mind.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Gary Reeder

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David Christman has a special fondness for No. 1's. He ha sbuilt many for clients, and often uses them for his personal hunting every year. I suggest you talk to him about your project. His number is 318-878-1395

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Penrod does nice work on #1s and has a package including surface grinding and polishing the receiver, new trigger, new safety, truing and refitting the breech block, etc. He will tell you that by the time you have done all of that work to make a #1 right you will be pretty close to buying a Hagn action.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is some guys in the lowcountry that do nice work on #1's.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nate Heineke does nice work:

http://www.nlheineke.com/

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, look no farther than David Christman. He built a #1 in .45/70 for me and I've seen several others he has built. He does some great work on #1's, especially the forearm screw and reshaped safeties. Nice stuff.

www.davidchristmangunmaker.com

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman,

Thank you for the information. I have sent emails to several of the smiths mentioned and will decide shortly. Again, thanks for the input.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I dropped a rifle off at David's Thursday and looked at some of his work. Very nice!! but please dont place your order until my rifle is finished! Big Grin You will not be dissatisfied! Good luck!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read lots of good things about David Christman's work....

Don