Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 Pin Protrusion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

One of my 98's looks like its making a pretty deep strike into the primer.

I know the correct dimension for protrusion but how do I measure and how to adjust ?

Thanks - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe too simple but just rotate the cocking piece until it bottoms out then measure.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If memory serves me correctly the protusion should be .055 on a M98. (fifty five thousanths)

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - Measured the way Mr Kobe mentioned (the obvious way I grant, and had already done that) its right on spec at .055, however looking at fired brass (which I don't have the tool to measure) and comparing it to other rifles the pin strike depth definitely looks deeper. Sorta worrying cause I don't want a pierced primer if it isn't necessary.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience protrusions of between 0.035" and 0.065" have all worked well, for me that is. I've had minor problems with deep protrusions in very high-pressure applications using Small Rifle primers but no problems at all with LR primers. Really, the only problems I've had stemmed from using some 223 reloads with the softer Rem 6 1/2 primers originally intended for the lower-pressure cartridges.

Form to a hemispherical shape and polish to at least a 600-grit finish, finer is better.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Foster:

My 1898 Mausers' pin protrusion run from .0490-.0575". Not all of the actions have been built into rifles as yet. The two that I built into rifles ran about .0535-.0560".

Brownells sells a pin protrusion gauge, which I use. You just set it as instructed then measure the outside length of the gauge with a caliper or micrometer and subtract the gauge's standard length.

Nevertheless, you might want to check for key way slop between the rear of the firing pin and cocking piece. Grease usually built up in the key way over time, and once cleaned out, can cause firing pin over protrusion.

I've removed this excessive slop by using swapped out cocking pieces and/or swapped out firing pins.

In my limited experience, the Mark X Mausers had lots of firing pin/cocking piece key way slop with one having over .065" firing pin protrusion that did look very deep. It didn't pierce primers though.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hmmm - Measured the way Mr Kobe mentioned (the obvious way I grant, and had already done that) its right on spec at .055, however looking at fired brass (which I don't have the tool to measure) and comparing it to other rifles the pin strike depth definitely looks deeper. Sorta worrying cause I don't want a pierced primer if it isn't necessary.

Remember that the Germans wanted to be certain that the Mauser went BANG EVERY time. They weren't hunting animals.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote