THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did You Ever Have to Make up Your Mind????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I feel just like that old song by the lovin spoonfull.

Taking the advice of most of you I decided that instead of buying a 90% shaped stock I would buy a blank and have it shaped. Well talking about generating a problem. Had Preslik's send some pictures then looked at the various sites listed the last couple of days. Now I feel like a kid in a candy store. Money to spend and TOO MANY choices.

"choose one and leave the others behind" sure easy for them to say. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too many choices on blanks? Presliks, in Chico, CA? You're too far away unfortunately to drive by there. I bought a blank from Dressel's that I had not seen in person. I liked a couple from their website, called up and explained what I wanted it for and got their impressions on which one would be best. They are experts and gave a good opinion. Presliks probably could help you the same way.

If you are stocking a rifle yourself and having the blank shaped, are you building a pattern first and having it copied? if not then who's pattern are you going with?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing about Dressels that Red knows is that the Dressels are also expert stock makers themselves. I am going down there on Monday to pick out a blank. Their web site has some incredible eye candy. I have found blanks from Presliks that are not totally dry. I have gotten the best buys in wood from them but they more often than not require some drying time. Dressles wood is ready to use. Look here.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod,

I just bought two blanks from Dressels about two weeks ago, and if you call them on the phone and explain what you are looking for they will go out of their way to help you out.

They also have a very liberal return policy if you don’t like what you get. Bottom line is that they are really nice people and will work with you anyway they can...at least that’s been my experience.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well week after next I will be in Missouri. Going to try and get by Show-Me, Welnig and Watts while I'm there. But, unless I have a better time choosing in person I will probably say I have this $$$ I like this type of grain, pick me out one (with swap rights).

This blank is two projects out so I'll worry about the shaper after I get the blank. I don't have a pattern but it will just be a basic classic. May decide to just send the blank to someone to do it all. We will see.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Well week after next I will be in Missouri. Going to try and get by Show-Me, Welnig and Watts while I'm there. But, unless I have a better time choosing in person I will probably say I have this $$$ I like this type of grain, pick me out one (with swap rights).

This blank is two projects out so I'll worry about the shaper after I get the blank. I don't have a pattern but it will just be a basic classic. May decide to just send the blank to someone to do it all. We will see.

You might also consider Biesen’s for a 98% finished stock, and cut out the middleman. Their work and their prices are VERY competitive and they are certainly worth a look.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I believe you mentioned them before. I've looked up their site but, haven't contacted them.

As my wfe says I will study, study, study ALL my options more than once before I decide. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've bought blanks from the Dressels as well as Steve Heilmann. Both are equally pleasant to deal with and both sell excellent wood. Heilmann has a pretty specific way of grading his blanks that makes it fairly easy to tell him exactly what you are looking for. He also has some of the most amazing english blanks that I have ever seen.

Heilmann

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote