New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actions: How much should I pay?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy. I'm off to gunsmithing school at Trinidad, CO in January and thought it might be fun to start compiling a variety of actions that I could work on at school. I'm looking to pick up a Remington 700, a Mauser, a pre-64 Model 70, a Springfield 03, and a Ruger M77. What should I be paying for these actions? I'm thinking that I don't need to buy pristine specimens as I will be learning to completely re furbish at school. Just as an example: Here in Montana I can go to most any gun shop or pawn shop and pick up a Remington 700 ADL rifle for $300 or less. BDLs usually run $350 unless they are in rough shape. Sporterised Springfields usually bring in the $200 range. Mark X Mausers are about the same. Rugers usually go for around $300. These prices are for complete rifles. Would it be best to buy these rifles and then sell the unwanted parts rather than searching for bare actions?

Thanks all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think buying the guns, selling off the unwanted parts, and using what you need will prove the best choice economically. I come acroos used "beater" guns far more often then bare actions, particularly actions that I'm actually looking for. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
frontlander,

I was at a class taught by Mark Stratton at Trinidad last summer and they still had Argentines in the college book store. This is not your normal college campus. You can carry a rifle or barreled action across campus without the SWAT team showing up, in fact without many looks at all. The book store is a dream store for gun tools and parts. You might contact them and find what they have in stock before you buy anything.

Another thing to consider is that you will want an action that you can "improve" and learn in the process. Buying a Winchester or Remington and fitting a barrel will teach you that part but tricking out a Mauser, Springfield or what have you will teach you a whole lot more.

Email me and I will send you photos of the tool room and all the stuff they have in there. Some needs some "adjustment" and some needs to be surplused and sold, but there is a lot of fine lathes, mills, surface grinders, etc. available for your use.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...they still had Argentines in the college book store...

I love it!
Man, I went to the wrong schools.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy, me too! - dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote