Find
Notify
Tools

Heat treating/ case hardening
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Okay guys,

I have numerous project that are stalled because, for various reasons, I need the action and or bolt heat treated, or case hardened. Who would you all recomend for this type of work? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Ask J. Belk ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Duck:
for various reasons, I need the action and or bolt heat treated, or case hardened.

Such as?

It's pretty much impossible to recommend a heat treatment process without knowing the reasons for it or the design goals you are trying to acheive.

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by InfoSponge:
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Duck:
for various reasons, I need the action and or bolt heat treated, or case hardened.

Such as?

It's pretty much impossible to recommend a heat treatment process without knowing the reasons for it or the design goals you are trying to acheive.

I have Mauser actions that have been in a fire and need re-case hardened. I have Mauser actions that have been machined to a point that annealing and re-case hardening would be adviseable. I have non Mauser actions that have been in a fire, welded upon,or machined past the pooint of prudence that needed to be re=treated. I have a few commercial actions that have never been treated at all. Aanmy help would be appreciated.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the best is:

Blanchard Metal Processing
1115 So. Pioneer Rd.
Salt Lake City, UT 84125

801-972-5590

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years back the was a place in Denver that did this. Understand that when you do this you have no idea what steel you are starting with nor the original heat treatment or case hardening.That heat treating company would case harden then temper it back to ( if I remember correctly ) about 45 Rc which is prudent.You may also have problems with warping.

<Rusty>
posted
From what i've seen I think that Doug Turnbull is about the best there is in bone charcoal case coloring.
Doug Turnbull

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
From what i've seen I think that Doug Turnbull is about the best there is in bone charcoal case coloring.
Doug Turnbull

I've seen 2 guns done by Turnbull Restorations, and they were perfect! Not only nice colouring, but every corner and edge was perfectly square and sharp, every plane was flat.

I have no idea of the price, but work that good just can't be cheap!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote