THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who does reboring at a reasonable cost ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
LaBounty Precision Reboring. 7968 Silver Lake Dr. PO Box 186 Maple Falls, WA

98266 (360) 599-2047

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to rebore a Rem. 700 adl in .308 to .358 win. Doe you know anyone who does such work ? The best price I've had so far from a guy in Nebraska is 280.00 All input appreciated

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

There will be a long lead time with LaBounty. Do yourself a favor and get a new barrel.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Siegrist Gun& Machine Shop
8752 Turtle Rd.
Whittemore,Mi.
989-873-3929 Around $200 I believe

Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with George on this, have it rebarreled. I could understand the effort and expense with a pre-64 Model 70, but not with a Rem. 700 factory barrel. Take off the one you have, sell it on Ebay and apply that towards a new barrel.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wayne York

Oregunsmithing

503-678-6353

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I agree with the posts above that you will be way better served replacing the factory barrel with an aftermarket unit, say from Lothar Walther or other good maker. (I have used their stuff as well as Shilen and Douglas).

The chief reason I see to rebore is to retain the original barrel outside: which usually has some great features like sights or unique shape, etc.

I expect the finished rifle will shoot better too.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jim the only reason to rebore is if you have a oct barrel with a rib, or a half oct/half round, or quarter rib etc...then OK rebore it as that stuff is mighty costly.....

As to a pre 64 or most all collector guns a rebore reduces that gun to a shooter, nothing more, as it is no longer original.

Most guns are better rebarreled.

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys have offered me some sound advice. The reboring would cost about a 100.00 less than a rebarrel. Lat year I went all out and had a shilen put on a Ruger 77 it shot great.But, the bbl was very large in diamater, you had to get High Rugar rings to mount a small scope ! I was expecting somthing similar to the factorybbl contour. I called they said that was the smalls diameter they made in .35 cal. So, I'm a little gun shy about a rebarrel job, I spent a lot of money on that one
On the other hand, I had the late Dick Nichols in WA do two rebore jobs on model 88 win. that shot so good you wouldn't believe it. Sadly, I let the rifles go to some elk hunters I know and can't get them back. So now I want to try again and see if Paco Kelly is right.
I presently hunt with an old BLR .358 for bear and it flat out smacks them down on the spot.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There are some non-collector type guns where a re-bore is a very good solution.

I had a John Buhmiller heavy-barreled classic .30-'06 Springfield '03 sporter with a Mills stock that eventually needed the tube refreshed. Al Petersen of Riverhurst, Saskatchewan rebored and rechambered it to .358 Norma Mag and it became the most accurate medium bore rifle I have ever owned.

The re-bore cost about half what a rebarreling effort would have.

At one time, many gunsmiths believed the odds were better of getting a super-accurate barrel from a re-bore than from a rebarreling. Some still do. Their logic was that the shooting of a barrel is a process that gradually de-stresses it.

Most re-boring uses the cut-rifling process. Cut rifling is thought by many old-time gunsmiths to not induce stresses in barrels, but it may "release" existing stresses inherent in the blank. With a barrel de-stressed by a lifetime of shooting, and a re-boring process which induces no added stresses, their theory is that a more accurate barrel than the original is often the result.

I don't know the truth or falsity of that belief, but all my re-bore rifles have been quite accurate.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post

I had a Savage M99F in .385 W that is now hunting with a friend, I understand your situation!

I do have a Win M88 in .308 that I could make you a deal on, you could rebarrel that rifle easily. Also Rogue River (now Rigby) was converting M88s to custom guns for about $3,000 last time I looked.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a fellow up in Prescott AZ that has a good reputation for reboring rifles. I'm thinking of having him do one of my Ruger #1 rifles in to a .35 Whelen. However, he charges as much, or more, for his rebores as most smiths charge for a rebarrel. However, from what I have heard, the work is outstanding. Guess it's just a case of getting what you pay for.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, sent you a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
It just occured to me that Douglas offers barrels in Rem. contours, bet they'd have exactly what you're looking for.

Douglas Barrels Remington Contours

Or call Dave at IT&D Custom Gun in Minerva, OH. He does great work and uses Douglas and his prices are very reasonable.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Paul,
The fellow in Prescott is Danny Pederson. He was with Fred Wells for a number of years but has his own shop now and has moved to Prescott Valley.
Classic Barrel & Gunworks
2601 Lake Valley Rd.
Prescott Valley, AZ 86314
I have misplaced his phone number but he can be reached at
Dan@cutrifle.com Danny's reboring and barrel making is second to none. Ask Fred Wells. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote