Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Winchester M70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hopefully, I'm about to win the auction on a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 that was originally a 30-06. The previous owner has had the bolt face opened up to magnum.

I am looking at this as a donor action to build a .375 H&H. What else is required to be done to the action for feeding the longer .375 H&H?

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A lot because the pre 64s were made for the 30-06, and had to be opened up for the 300/375s; unlike the post 64s, which were/are all made for the 375.
So, mag box, follower, mill out the receiver top and bottom. bolt stop. Best to look at one before you start milling.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd

My other choice in calibre would be a .338 Win Mag, or 9.3x64.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here’s a good post on the subject. D’Arcy Echols made some interesting comments at the bottom:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=115101808#115101808

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Personally I would never cut a pre 64 to fit a 375; much better, stronger, and easier, to get a post 64 and use that. BTW I have one on the bench right now to do just that; 375. Igor could make that conversion work. You know, Dr Frankenstein's assistant. Not from the book.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Just thinking that a better option in .375 would be the .375 Ruger. I did think about buying one of the Ruger Africans but I am becoming a bit of a custom rifle nut.