THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can You Identify this Trigger on a Remington 40X?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can You Identify this Trigger on a Remington 40X?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at a Remington 40x rimfire single shot, serial number 0484xxR. It is set up with a monte carlo stock in a varmint style configuration (nice wood) - rounded corners on the bottom of the forend with approximately 1-1/4 inches of flat on the bottom of the forend.

The rifle comes with what I assume to be an aftermarket trigger installed. The safety has been removed. The trigger blade is a round piece of aluminum, approximately 1/8 inch in diameter, running parallel to the bottom of the action then curved to form a trigger. The aluminum piece is set into a clamp with an allen head screw that allows the length of pull to be adjusted by loosening and sliding the trigger blade forward or back. Trigger pull is well less than a pound, perhaps as little as 4 or 6 ounces (yes, we used a snap cap when we dry fired the gun).

The action is apparently glassed or glued to the stock. At least, it is not readily removable and as it isn't mine to play with (yet?), I'm not in a position to put it in a freezer or otherwise work hard to separate action from wood, so I can't see if there is a name on the trigger mechanism.

I know this is kind of a pig in the poke question, but does anyone recognize the maker of this trigger from the description? I'd like to know whether it's a good one or not, as I'd offer less for the gun if I might have to replace the trigger with something more reliable.

I did do a crude search for benchrest triggers on Google, but didn't find anything that looked similar. I'm guessing that whatever this is isn't currently in production.

Thanks.

Rem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a trigger years ago that, if my memory is correct, matches your description but I cannot remember the maker. However, if you contact Neal Johnson, Neal Johnson Gunsmithing he will probably be able to assist. When I was involved with 22 target shooting he struck me as very helpful and very knowlegable.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Remington40x:
I am looking at a Remington 40x rimfire single shot, serial number 0484xxR. It is set up with a monte carlo stock in a varmint style configuration (nice wood) - rounded corners on the bottom of the forend with approximately 1-1/4 inches of flat on the bottom of the forend.

The rifle comes with what I assume to be an aftermarket trigger installed. The safety has been removed. The trigger blade is a round piece of aluminum, approximately 1/8 inch in diameter, running parallel to the bottom of the action then curved to form a trigger. The aluminum piece is set into a clamp with an allen head screw that allows the length of pull to be adjusted by loosening and sliding the trigger blade forward or back. Trigger pull is well less than a pound, perhaps as little as 4 or 6 ounces (yes, we used a snap cap when we dry fired the gun).

The action is apparently glassed or glued to the stock. At least, it is not readily removable and as it isn't mine to play with (yet?), I'm not in a position to put it in a freezer or otherwise work hard to separate action from wood, so I can't see if there is a name on the trigger mechanism.

I know this is kind of a pig in the poke question, but does anyone recognize the maker of this trigger from the description? I'd like to know whether it's a good one or not, as I'd offer less for the gun if I might have to replace the trigger with something more reliable.

I did do a crude search for benchrest triggers on Google, but didn't find anything that looked similar. I'm guessing that whatever this is isn't currently in production.

Thanks.

Rem

It is a Canjar LP. There was no provision for a safety since it was designed for such a light pull. It is a 3 lever design. Remington offered a "2 ounce" trigger in their benchrest rifles about the same time.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
From your description, it sounds like the relatively new Timney competition trigger. They're pretty darn nice and adjust easily.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger itself on the new Timney is not Aluminum it is steel and it is straight and knurled. And I doubt anyone would change it to add a trigger like he was describing. they also adjust down to ounces.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concensus of opinion seems to be the Canjar LP. If I can find a copy of Benchrest Rifles at the King of Prussia gun show in two weekends, I'll check for sure.

Thanks for all your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
40X,
I have a Canjar LP that came to me on a 6X47 40X-BR. It is exactly as you describe.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 Canjar LP triggers on now antique Rem 700 silhouette rifles and they are exactly as you describe except there is a pull weight adjustment in front of the block you describe. As I recall, they adjust from 16 (maybe 18) down to 2 ounces. I've shot these extensively over the years with no problems, but you can adjust them down to the "slam fire" level, if you rough handle the bolt while chambering.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote