Find
Notify
Tools

Tool for magnum cross bolt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I just got some of these in for a new stock. Something I didn't think about when I ordered, is what tool is used tightening these things up?

They just have 2 small holes in them, so I would assume you need special tool for this. Any homemade salutions?

Thanks,
Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
If your crossbolts are like mine then just grind off the tip of an old screwdriver. I cut two points in the tip so it would fit the two holes correctly. Use a big screwdriver, so the tip has some meat on it.

You might also want to check the Brownells catalog, I am sure they will have one. But, you have to decide if the price is worth the one time use.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert! I like your idea of modifying a screw driver much better than buying a tool. I'm a cheapskate

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but then don't you need a new screwdriver? I think the tool is less than a good quality driver.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tool is inexpensive from Brownells but make sure you get the one for the Magnum crossbolt. The one that comes with the crossbolt drilling jig won't fit the magnum size but fits the smaller crossbolts that come with the jig.

Scott

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I would make one out of any old screwdriver. Also, you can make one from an old pair of needlenose pliers, or use a pair of snap-ring pliers.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used snap ring plier but had to use a second combination plier to support the pins to keep from breaking the snap ring pliers. Not a very good setup as the twisting motion does a number on the snap ring pliers. I think I will try the modified large screwdriver solution next time.

Tom

Posts: 35 | Location: Half Moon Bay, California | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I don't guess someone could get handy and drive two nails into a round piece of wood such that them correspond to the holes in the head of the cross piece and remove the heads of the nails?

Or

If you don't want to ruin a good screwdriver, couldn't you grind a piece of flat stock to get the same effect?

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote