Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman receiver sights question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I have a few rifles that I want to put receiver sights on. They are mainly my surplus rifles still in issue configuration. But a couple lever actions also. It is just a lot easier for me to use receiver sights on these rifles than the issue sights and I enjoy shooting them.

When I look at the various Lyman sights on places like Ebay I find mainly 2 receiver sights for Mauser's and Springfields - the Lyman 48 and 57. What are the differences between the 2 sights. Is one better than the other?

Also what Lyman sights do I need for the Winchester 94 and Marlin 1894?

Thanks,

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"Old Gunsights, A Collector's Guide, 1850-1965" by Nick Stroebel, 319 pages with lots of pictures.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a chart from the 1920 Lyman catalog.
U is for '94 Winchesters
R is for 1895 Win.
M is for Win 1895 30USA

The Lyman 1 and 1a combination tang peeps are on my rifles.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Between the Lyman 48 and Lyman 57, the Lyman 48 is the higher grade of the two, and was built as more of a target sight and hunting sight, where-as the Lyman 57 was built as more of a utility sight. The correct sight for level actions is the Lyman 66. There was also a well-made Redfield equivalent for each of these. With any of these sights, make sure that you are getting the correct version for your rifle. In the Lyman 48 and 57 the differences are in both the length of the windage slide and in the receiver contour. In the Lyman 66, there are differences in the length of the windage slide.

The Williams sights are also well made and a lot less expensive, but not as nice looking.

The text on old gun sights already mentioned is a good reference.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking through the Midway catalog last night, and noticed a Marbles rear peep sight made for octagonal barrels. The sight is steel, and comes in two widths, 5/8's being the largest. It's adjustable w/e by screws.

It has three aperture sizes available, and I don't see any reason why a threaded piece couldn't be adapted to it to take standard eyepiece threads.

It's compact, and it may be holed for the top of a modern Marlin receiver.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, there was also a Lyman 35 that mounted on the bolt stop box of the Mauser and swung out with it when you released the bolt. It is a real gem but hard to find and it reflects in the cost.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This man has old sights-

Garry Fellers in Ft. Worth, Texas: (817) 346-9633.

recently dealt with him, arranged the purchase of two Lyman cocking piece sights.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just talked to M1Tanker and got him fixed up.

I’ve often teased Garry Fellers about having a crew of guys in his back yard building sights. I don’t think I have ever asked him for a sight he didn’t have at least one of.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote