New
Find
Notify
Tools

measuring a shotgun stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just fitting a new recoil pad to my trap gun can anyone tell me how I measure the stock so that it will fit me?

many thanks
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the gun fit you now (before changing the pad)? If it does, just cut off the buttstock by an amount equal to the pad thickness, being careful to make the cut parallel with the original butt. If it does not fit you now, you need to seek out an instructor or gun fitter. It can't be done IMO over the internet.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
glen,
someone has fitted a field recoil pad on it with several spacers, I am replacing it with a pachmayr trap pad which is 1" thick. so was just trying to find out how to make the gun fit me!!

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff, This is a very open ended question. A persons size has a lot to do with the fix. A trap stock is usually a little longer then a field stock. If you are about 5'9" a 14 1/4" will probably fit, but if your are 6'3" you would need something about 15". Arm length and weight will need to be considered also. There is not a guide that I am aware of to fit people. Try shooting the shotgun and see if it is lining up with a lot of rib showing when you hold the gun. You will need to hit targets a long ways out so you need to see alot of rib. A field gun needs to be fit to not see very much of the rib.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
griff, you need to know what dimensions you need before you start changing the stock and no one can tell you on a web site. The best way is to find a gun fitter and pay him.

Trap guns are designed to shoot high as the birds are rising after you shoot. A field stock will generally miss low. You can add stick on pads to raise the comb of the stock to help raise your eye. It is just near impossible to know what to say to your question.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote